on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the German Holtz family come from? What is the German Holtz family crest and coat of arms? When did the Holtz family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Holtz family history?The Holtz surname is derived from the Upper German word "holz," which means "forest." Thus many of the names that evolved from this root work have to do with living in the woods, or being in the lumber industry. For example, Holzhauer, means lumberjack.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Holtz, Holtze, Holz, Holze, Holzer, Holtzer, Holzman, Holtzman, Holtzmann, Holzmann, Holtzel, Holzel and many more.
First found in Swabia, where the name came from noble beginnings and gained a significant reputation for its contribution to the emerging mediaeval society. The name Holz has been associated with the noble cantons of Kocher and Ottenwald, where the family was connected to the great ruling dynasty of the Hohenstaufens. It is believed that the Holz family possessed feudal forest rights, and the oldest traced descendant of this branch is Siegfried von Holtz, who lived in Wuerttemberg around 1120. It later became more prominent as many branches of the same house acquired distant estates and branches, some in foreign countries, always elevating their social status by their great contributions to society.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Holtz research. Another 159 words(11 lines of text) covering the year 1832 is included under the topic Early Holtz History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 41 words(3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Holtz Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Holtz Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Johannes Holtz came to Philadelphia in 1733
- Hans Georg Holtz came to Philadelphia in 1738
- Hans Georg Holtz, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1738
- Jacob Holtz, aged 45, landed in Pennsylvania in 1748
- Johannes Holtz, aged 23, arrived in Pennsylvania in 1748
Holtz Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Joh Christ Holtz, who arrived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1804
- Friedch Holtz, who arrived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1804
- Nikolaus Holtz, who arrived in America in 1857
- Valentin Holtz, aged 16, arrived in North America in 1857
- David Holtz, aged 16, arrived in North America in 1860
- Louis Leo "Lou" Holtz (b. 1937), retired American football coach, and active sportscaster, author, and motivational speaker
- Thomas R. Holtz Jr., American vertebrate palaeontologist
- Michael James Holtz (b. 1972), American former middle relief pitcher in Major League Baseball
- Allan Holtz, American comic strip historian
- Mark Holtz (1945-1997), American sportscaster
- Lou Holtz (1893-1980), American vaudevillian and comic actor
- Stefan Holtz (b. 1981), German sprint canoer
- Wilhelm Holtz (1836-1913), German physicist
- Viktor Holtz (1846-1919), German educator and a pioneer of German-Japanese academic and cultural relations
- Luc Holtz (b. 1969), former Luxembourg football player
- Garland, Mary and Henry Garland Editions. Oxford Companion To German Literature 3rd Edition. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1997. Print. (ISBN 0198158963).
- Oswald, G. Lexicon der Heraldik. Leipzig: 1984. Print.
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Strassburger, Ralph B. German Pioneers The Original Lists of Arrivals in the Port of Philadelphia 3 Volumes. Baltimore: Picton Press, 1992. Print. (ISBN 978-0929539980).
- Rolland, and H.V. Rolland. Illustrations to the Armorial general by J. B. Rietstap 6 volumes in 3. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1976. Print.
- Brechenmacher, Josef Karlmann. Deutches Namenbuch. Stuttgart: Verlag von Adolf Bonz & Comp, 1928. Print.
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Bahlow, Hans and Edda Gentry. Translation Dictionary of German Names 2nd Edition. Madison: University of Wisconsin, 2002. Print.
The Holtz Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Holtz Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 22 December 2014 at 15:27.
on orders of $85 or more