Hohenstein History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Hohenstein family
The surname Hohenstein was first found in Hessen, where the name was closely identified in the early period of history with the feudal society which would become prominent throughout Europe. The name would later emerge as an influential noble family, having many distinguished branches, and well known for its involvement in social, economic and political affairs.
Early History of the Hohenstein family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Hohenstein research. Another 126 words (9 lines of text) covering the years 1717, 1733, 1790 and 1709 are included under the topic Early Hohenstein History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Hohenstein Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Hohenstein, Hohen, Hohenstraeten, Hohenstaur, Hohensteufen, Hohenthal and many more.
Early Notables of the Hohenstein family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Hohenstein Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
| Hohenstein migration to the United States ||+|
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Hohenstein Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Georg Hohenstein, on record as one of the Hessian Troops in the American War for Independence in 1775
- George Hohenstein, who arrived in New York, NY in 1782 
Hohenstein Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Jacob Hohenstein, aged 35, who landed in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1804 
- Freid Hohenstein, who arrived in Baltimore in 1831
- Conrad Hohenstein, Dorothea Hohenstein, Ensilius Hohenstein and others who all applied to emigrate from Wuerttemberg to North America, in 1848-52
- Adam Hohenstein, who settled in New York, NY in 1852
- David Jesaias Hohenstein, who landed in America in 1855 
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
|Contemporary Notables of the name Hohenstein (post 1700) ||+|
- Rory Hohenstein, American danseur performing with the Morphoses
- Adolfo Hohenstein (1854-1928), German painter, advertiser, illustrator and set designer
- Graf AuguSt David of Sayn-Wittgenstein Hohenstein (1663-1735), Prussian politician
- Ferdinand II von und zu Hohenstein (1681-1706), the last of the Silesian Piasts
- Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)