Hoelzer History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The Hoelzer surname is derived from the Upper German word "holz," which means "forest." Thus many of the names that evolved from this root work have to do with living in the woods, or being in the lumber industry. For example, Holzhauer, means lumberjack.
Early Origins of the Hoelzer family
The surname Hoelzer was first found in Swabia, where the name came from noble beginnings and gained a significant reputation for its contribution to the emerging mediaeval society. The name Holz has been associated with the noble cantons of Kocher and Ottenwald, where the family was connected to the great ruling dynasty of the Hohenstaufens. It is believed that the Holz family possessed feudal forest rights, and the oldest traced descendant of this branch is Siegfried von Holtz, who lived in Wuerttemberg around 1120. It later became more prominent as many branches of the same house acquired distant estates and branches, some in foreign countries, always elevating their social status by their great contributions to society.
Early History of the Hoelzer family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Hoelzer research. Another 100 words (7 lines of text) covering the year 1832 is included under the topic Early Hoelzer History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Hoelzer Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Holtz, Holtze, Holz, Holze, Holzer, Holtzer, Holzman, Holtzman, Holtzmann, Holzmann, Holtzel, Holzel and many more.
Early Notables of the Hoelzer family (pre 1700)
Another 41 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Hoelzer Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Hoelzer family
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: John Holzer, who emigrated to England or America with his wife and son in 1709; Johannes Holtz came to Philadelphia in 1733; as did Hans Georg Holtz in 1738.
Contemporary Notables of the name Hoelzer (post 1700) +
- Guy Hoelzer, American biology researcher at the University of Nevada Reno
- Karin Hoelzer, American veterinary researcher at Cornell University
- Kevin Hoelzer, American actor, known for his work on Dillon: World Champion Gunslinger (2005), Redemption (2009) and Bryan Loves You (2008)
- Margaret Hoelzer (b. 1983), American seven-time gold, six-time silver and three-time bronze medalist swimmer
- Helmut Hoelzer (1912-1996), German Nazi V-2 rocket engineer who was brought to the United States under Operation Paperclip, grandfather of Margaret Hoelzer
Related Stories +