Hobdy History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Hobdy family
The surname Hobdy was first found in Kent where they held a family seat. The Saxon influence of English history diminished after the Battle of Hastings in 1066. The language of the courts was French for the next three centuries and the Norman ambience prevailed. But Saxon surnames survived and the family name was first referenced in the year 1469 when William Hobday appeared on the tax rolls for that shire.
Important Dates for the Hobdy family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Hobdy research. Another 128 words (9 lines of text) covering the years 1455 and 1487 are included under the topic Early Hobdy History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Hobdy Spelling Variations
Only recently has spelling become standardized in the English language. As the English language evolved in the Middle Ages, the spelling of names changed also. The name Hobdy has undergone many spelling variations, including Hobday, Hobdey, Hobaday, Hobeday, Obday, Obdey and many more.
Early Notables of the Hobdy family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Hobdy Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Hobdy migration to the United States
To escape the unstable social climate in England of this time, many families boarded ships for the New World with the hope of finding land, opportunity, and greater religious and political freedom. Although the voyages were expensive, crowded, and difficult, those families that arrived often found greater opportunities and freedoms than they could have experienced at home. Many of those families went on to make significant contributions to the rapidly developing colonies in which they settled. Early North American records indicate many people bearing the name Hobdy were among those contributors:
Hobdy Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Mary Hobdy, who arrived in Maryland in 1668 
Hobdy Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Thomas Hobdy, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1777 
Contemporary Notables of the name Hobdy (post 1700)
- Bird E. Hobdy, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from California, 1932 
- Mrs. Bird E. Hobdy, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from California, 1916, 1928 (alternate) 
- Hobdy G. Rains (b. 1912), American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Alabama, 1952; Secretary of Alabama Democratic Party, 1967 
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, October 9) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, December 10) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html