Hinz History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The German state of Saxony, where the distinguished surname Hinz arose, is renowned for both its beauty, industry, and economic power. However, in the medieval era, Germany was fragmented and inhabited by numerous Barbarian tribes, who fought amongst themselves for control of the land. The ancient dukedom of Saxony derived its name from the Germanic tribe name the Saxons who inhabited the territory after the fall of the Roman Empire. The name Hinz originates as a short form of the personal name Heinrich.
Early Origins of the Hinz family
The surname Hinz was first found in Saxony, where the family gained a significant reputation for its contributions to the emerging mediaeval society. The name became prominent as many branches of the family founded separate houses and acquired estates in various regions, always elevating their social status by their great contributions to society. Individual bearers of the name first mentioned in ancient chronicles include Ruf Heinz in Esslingen in 1417.
Early History of the Hinz family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Hinz research. Another 337 words (24 lines of text) covering the years 1595, 1841, 1805, 1608, 1817, 1602, 1564, 1609, 1630, 1689, 1686, 1687, 1688, 1689, 1749, 1803, 1630 and 1700 are included under the topic Early Hinz History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Hinz Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Heintz, Heinz, Heinze, Heintze, Heinzer, Heintzer, Hainz, Haintz, Hainze, Haintze, Haintzer, Hainzer, Hintz, Hinz, Hinze, Hinzer, Hintze, Hintzer, Hyntz, Hynz, Heinse, Heintse, Heinttze, Heinttz, Heintzel, Heinzel, Heinzelmann, Heinzelman, Heintzelmann, Heintzelman, Heynz, Heyntze, Heincze and many more.
Early Notables of the Hinz family (pre 1700)
Prominent bearers of the family name Hinz at this time were Joseph Heintz (or Heinz) the Elder (1564-1609), a Swiss painter, draftsman and architect; Ernst Heintze (died 1630), who became a Chancellor of Bohemia; Christopher Heins (died 1689), Lieutenant and interim Governor-General...
Another 42 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Hinz Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In the United States, the name Hinz is the 8,569th most popular surname with an estimated 2,487 people with that name. 
| Hinz migration to the United States ||+|
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Hinz Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Johan Hinz, who landed in Missouri in 1841 
- Johann Friedrich Hinz, aged 40, who arrived in America in 1843 
- Karoline Hinz, who landed in America in 1843 
- Wilhelmine Hinz, who landed in Texas in 1846 aboard the ship "Johanna" 
- Johann Hinz, aged 50, who landed in New York, NY in 1874 
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
|Contemporary Notables of the name Hinz (post 1700) ||+|
- Emil A. Hinz (b. 1989), American politician, Member of the Wisconsin State Assembly (1947-1962)
- Helmut Hinz (b. 1975), American professional football player
- Christopher Hinz (b. 1951), American writer, winner of the Compton Crook Award in 1988 for his novel Liege-Killer
- Bruno Hinz (1915-1968), German Hauptsturmführer in the Waffen SS during World War II who was awarded the Knight's Cross with Oakleaves
- Werner Hinz (1903-1985), German film actor who appeared in 70 films between 1935 and 1984
|Historic Events for the Hinz family ||+|
- Ernst Hinz (1919-1941), German Mechanikersobergefreiter who served aboard the German Battleship Bismarck during World War II when it was sunk heading to France; he died in the sinking 
- "What are the 5,000 Most Common Last Names in the U.S.?". NameCensus.com, https://namecensus.com/last-names/
- Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- Bismarck & Tirpitz Class - Crew List Bismarck. (Retrieved 2018, February 06). Retrieved from https://www.bismarck-class.dk/bismarck/crew/bismarck_crew.html#crew_details