on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the Spanish Hinojosa family come from? What is the Spanish Hinojosa family crest and coat of arms? When did the Hinojosa family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Hinojosa family history?The noble surname Hinojosa is of Spanish descent, and appears to be of toponymic origin. Toponymic surnames are those names which derive their origin from a particular place-name near which the original bearer lived or held land. In this instance, the surname Hinojosa is derived from the place-name Hinojo. The Spanish word "hinojo"is derived from the Latin "fenuculum" diminutive form of "fenum" meaning "hay."
Spelling variations of this family name include: Hinojos, Hinojosas, Hinojal, Inojar and others.
First found in Teruel, in the region of Aragon. The earliest records of the surname Hinojosa are found in the records of the Spanish Order of Carlos III.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Hinojosa research. Another 346 words(25 lines of text) covering the year 1660 is included under the topic Early Hinojosa History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 58 words(4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Hinojosa Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Hinojosa Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Jose Hinojosa, who arrived in Puerto Rico in 1802
- Alvaro De Hinojosa, who landed in America in 1834
- Luis De Hinojosa, who arrived in New Spain in 1877
- Juan De Hinojosa, who landed in Peru in 1892
- Juan Jesus “Chuy” Hinojosa (b. 1946), Democratic member of the Texas Senate
- Rubén E. Hinojosa (b. 1940), American politician, the U.S. House of Representative for TX
- Leticia "Tish" Hinojosa (b. 1955), American folksinger
- Maria Hinojosa (b. 1961), Mexican American broadcast journalist
- Rolando Hinojosa (b. 1929), American novelist, essayist, poet
- Christin Hinojosa (b. 1976), American actress
- José María Hinojosa (1904-1936), Spanish poet
- Rasmussen, Louis J. . San Francisco Ship Passenger Lists 4 Volumes Colma, California 1965 Reprint. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1978. Print.
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Archivo General De Indias, Sevilla. Catalogo de Pasajeros a Indias durante los Siglos XVI, XVII y XVIII Edited by the docents of the General Indian Archives under the Director of the Archives, Don Cristobal Bermudez Plata 3 Volumes - Volume 1 1509-1534. Sevilla, Spain: Imprenta de la Gavidia, 1940. Print.
- Bentley, Elizabeth P. Passenger Arrivals at the Port of New York 1820-1829. Baltimore, Maryland: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1999. Print.
- Maduell, Charles R. Compiler Index of Spanish Citizens Entering the Port of New Orleans Between January 1840 and December 1865. New Orleans: The Compiler, 1966. Print.
- Chronological list of passengers to Spanish America (including Florida and Louisiana, 1538-1559). From documents in the "Indian Archives". Sevilla. Print.
- de Cadenas, Vicente Y Viicent. Heraldic Patronimica Española Y Sus Patronimicos Compuestos. Madrid: Hidalguía, 1976. Print.
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
The Hinojosa Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Hinojosa Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 14 December 2014 at 00:23.
on orders of $85 or more