on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The noble surname Hinojosa is of Spanish descent, and appears to be of toponymic origin. Toponymic surnames are those names which derive their origin from a particular place-name near which the original bearer lived or held land. In this instance, the surname Hinojosa is derived from the place-name Hinojo. The Spanish word "hinojo"is derived from the Latin "fenuculum" diminutive form of "fenum" meaning "hay."
The surname Hinojosa was first found in Teruel, in the region of Aragon
. The earliest records of the surname Hinojosa are found in the records of the Spanish Order of Carlos III.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Hinojos, Hinojosas, Hinojal, Inojar and others.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Hinojosa research. Another 346 words (25 lines of text) covering the year 1660 is included under the topic Early Hinojosa History in all our PDF Extended History products
Another 58 words (4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Hinojosa Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Hinojosa Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Jose Hinojosa, who arrived in Puerto Rico in 1802
- Alvaro De Hinojosa, who landed in America in 1834
- Luis De Hinojosa, who arrived in New Spain in 1877
- Juan De Hinojosa, who landed in Peru in 1892
- Rubén E. Hinojosa (b. 1940), American politician, the U.S. House of Representative for TX
- Christin Hinojosa (b. 1976), American actress
- Rolando Hinojosa (b. 1929), American novelist, essayist, poet
- Maria Hinojosa (b. 1961), Mexican American broadcast journalist
- Leticia "Tish" Hinojosa (b. 1955), American folksinger
- Juan Jesus “Chuy” Hinojosa (b. 1946), Democratic member of the Texas Senate
- José María Hinojosa (1904-1936), Spanish poet
- Rietstap, Johannes Baptist. Armorial Général. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Carr, Raymond. Spain, 1808-1975. 2nd Ed. . Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1982. Print. (ISBN 978-0198221272).
- Atienza, Julio De Atienza. Español: Diccionario Heraldico De Apellidos Españoles Y De Titulos Nobiliarios. Madrid: Aguilar, 1959. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Bentley, Elizabeth P. Passenger Arrivals at the Port of New York 1820-1829. Baltimore, Maryland: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1999. Print.
- García Carraffa, Alberto and Arturo. Diccionario Heráldico y Genealógico de Apellidos Españoles y Americanos 88 Volumes. Madrid: A. Marzo. Print.
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Diez, Ma Del Carmen Galbis. Catalogo de Pasajeros a Indias Durante los siglos XVI, XVII y XVIII Archivo General de Indias Sevilla Volume 6. Murcia, Spain: Ministerio de Cultura, 1986. Print.
The Hinojosa Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Hinojosa Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 5 April 2016 at 15:20.
on orders of $85 or more