Himmel History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The ancient and distinguished German surname Himmel originated in the former duchy of Swabia, where the ancestral home of the family remains to this day. The name is derived from the Middle German word "Himel," meaning "heaven, sky," and developed into a surname through a number of origins. Firstly, "Himmel" is the name of a number of different places throughout Germany; thus, the original bearer of the name may have been a native of one of these areas. Alternatively, the name may have been originally bestowed as a nickname in some form, such as "Himmelstützer" (support the sky) on a very tall person, or "Himmelseher" (sky gazer) on someone who was fond of the stars.
Early Origins of the Himmel family
The surname Himmel was first found in Swabia, where the family gained a significant reputation for its contributions to the emerging mediaeval society. The name became prominent as many branches of the family founded separate houses and acquired estates in various regions, always elevating their social status by their great contributions to society. The first individual to be recorded in ancient chronicles was Burcardus zem Himel of Basel in 1297.
Early History of the Himmel family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Himmel research. Another 81 words (6 lines of text) covering the years 1756, 1792, 1795, and 1814 are included under the topic Early Himmel History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Himmel Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Himmel, Himml, Himmler, Himmeler, Himel, Himler, Himeler and many more.
Early Notables of the Himmel family (pre 1700)
Notables with the surname Himmel during this period were Friedrich Heinrich Himmel (1756-1814), a talented pianist, who became chamber composer to the Prussian court in 1792. In 1795 he...
Another 28 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Himmel Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Himmel migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Himmel Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- G. Werner Himmel, who arrived in Philadelphia in 1773
- G Werner Himmel, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1773 
Himmel Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Johannes Himmel, a Hessian mercenary who settled in America after fighting in the Revolutionary War
- Peter Himmel, who landed in Maryland in 1835 
- Andreas Himmel, aged 25, who landed in New York in 1854 
- Franz Himmel, who sailed from Bremen to New York in 1865
Contemporary Notables of the name Himmel (post 1700) +
- Harold Himmel (1910-1985), American professional football player
- Paul Himmel (1914-2009), American fashion and documentary photographer
- Friedrich Heinrich Himmel (1765-1814), German composer
- Erwin Leo Himmel (b. 1956), renowned Austrian automobile designer
- Harold Himmel Velde (1910-1985), American Republican politician, County Judge in Illinois, 1946-49; U.S. Representative from Illinois 18th District, 1949-57 
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, November 24) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html