Himel History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The ancient and distinguished German surname Himel originated in the former duchy of Swabia, where the ancestral home of the family remains to this day. The name is derived from the Middle German word "Himel," meaning "heaven, sky," and developed into a surname through a number of origins. Firstly, "Himmel" is the name of a number of different places throughout Germany; thus, the original bearer of the name may have been a native of one of these areas. Alternatively, the name may have been originally bestowed as a nickname in some form, such as "Himmelstützer" (support the sky) on a very tall person, or "Himmelseher" (sky gazer) on someone who was fond of the stars.
Early Origins of the Himel family
The surname Himel was first found in Swabia, where the family gained a significant reputation for its contributions to the emerging mediaeval society. The name became prominent as many branches of the family founded separate houses and acquired estates in various regions, always elevating their social status by their great contributions to society. The first individual to be recorded in ancient chronicles was Burcardus zem Himel of Basel in 1297.
Early History of the Himel family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Himel research. Another 81 words (6 lines of text) covering the years 1756, 1792, 1795, and 1814 are included under the topic Early Himel History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Himel Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Himmel, Himml, Himmler, Himmeler, Himel, Himler, Himeler and many more.
Early Notables of the Himel family (pre 1700)
Notables with the surname Himel during this period were Friedrich Heinrich Himmel (1756-1814), a talented pianist, who became chamber composer to the Prussian court in 1792. In 1795 he...
Another 28 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Himel Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Himel migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Himel Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Jacob Himel, who arrived in New York, NY in 1709 
Contemporary Notables of the name Himel (post 1700) +
- Dawn Himel (b. 1982), American actress from Orlando, Florida, known for her work on Carjacked (2011), Mama I Want to Sing (2011) and A Good Man Is Hard to Find (2008)
- Nicole Himel, American actress and casting director, known for Southern Chillers (2017), Coldwell Spring (2018) and Folle de la Conservation (2015)
- Susan G. Himel, Canadian jurist, Judge in the Ontario Superior Court of Justice for the Toronto region, former Assistant Deputy Attorney General of Ontario
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)