on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Where did the German Hiestand family come from? What is the German Hiestand family crest and coat of arms? When did the Hiestand family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Hiestand family history?The surname Hiestand is derived from the Germanic tribe of the Hessians.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Hess, Hesse, Esse, Hessel, Hesselin, Hesso, Hesler and many more.
First found in Austria, where the name became noted for its many branches in the region, each house acquiring a status and influence which was envied by the princes of the region. In their later history the name became a power unto themselves and were elevated to the ranks of nobility as they grew into this most influential family.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Hiestand research. Another 283 words (20 lines of text) covering the years 1416, 1584, 1764, 1790, 1791 and 1854 are included under the topic Early Hiestand History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Hiestand Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Hiestand Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Johannes Hiestand, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1727
- Jacob Hiestand, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1752
- Samuel Hiestand (1782-1838), American bishop of the Church of the United Brethren in Christ
- Joseph Hiestand (1906-2004), American politician, former member of the Ohio House of Representatives (1967-1974)
- John Andrew Hiestand (1824-1890), American politician, Member of the U.S. House of Representatives from Pennsylvania (1885-1889)
- Harry Hiestand (b. 1958), American football coach for the Notre Dame Fighting Irish football team
- Emily Hiestand (b. 1947), American writer and poet; her awards include: 1988 National Poetry Series, for Green the Witch Hazel Wood, selected by U.S. Poet Laureate Jorie Graham; 1988 The Nation/ Discovery Prize; and 1990 Whiting Writers' Award
- Edgar Willard Hiestand (1888-1970), American businessman and politician, Member of the U.S. House of Representatives from California (1953-1963)
- John Andrew Hiestand (1824-1890), American Republican politician, Member of Pennsylvania State Senate 16th District, 1861-63; U.S. Representative from Pennsylvania 9th District, 1885-89
- Edgar Willard Hiestand (1888-1970), American Republican politician, U.S. Representative from California 21st District, 1953-63; Defeated, 1962; Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from California, 1960
- B. Frank Hiestand, American Republican politician, Presidential Elector for Pennsylvania, 1928; Delegate to Republican National Convention from Pennsylvania, 1932
- Jones, George F. The Germans of Colonial Georgia 1733-1783 Revised edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0806311614).
- Haverkamp, Alfred. Medieval Germany 1056-1273 2nd edition. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print.
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Nied, Edmund. Fraenkische Familiennamen urkundlich gesammelt und sprachlich gedeutet. Heidelberg: C. Winter, 1933. Print.
- Bahlow, Hans and Edda Gentry. Translation Dictionary of German Names 2nd Edition. Madison: University of Wisconsin, 2002. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Bahlow, Hans. Abhandlungen zur Namenforschung und Buchgeschichte. 1980. Print. (ISBN 978-3768690522).
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Garland, Mary and Henry Garland Editions. Oxford Companion To German Literature 3rd Edition. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1997. Print. (ISBN 0198158963).
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
The Hiestand Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Hiestand Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 12 November 2015 at 09:16.
on orders of $85 or more