on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the German Hiestand family come from? What is the German Hiestand family crest and coat of arms? When did the Hiestand family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Hiestand family history?The surname Hiestand is derived from the Germanic tribe of the Hessians.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Hess, Hesse, Esse, Hessel, Hesselin, Hesso, Hesler and many more.
First found in Austria, where the name became noted for its many branches in the region, each house acquiring a status and influence which was envied by the princes of the region. In their later history the name became a power unto themselves and were elevated to the ranks of nobility as they grew into this most influential family.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Hiestand research. Another 283 words(20 lines of text) covering the years 1416, 1584, 1764, 1790, 1791 and 1854 are included under the topic Early Hiestand History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Hiestand Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Hiestand Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Johannes Hiestand, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1727
- Jacob Hiestand, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1752
- Edgar Willard Hiestand (1888-1970), American businessman and politician, Member of the U.S. House of Representatives from California (1953-1963)
- Emily Hiestand (b. 1947), American writer and poet; her awards include: 1988 National Poetry Series, for Green the Witch Hazel Wood, selected by U.S. Poet Laureate Jorie Graham; 1988 The Nation/ Discovery Prize; and 1990 Whiting Writers' Award
- Harry Hiestand (b. 1958), American football coach for the Notre Dame Fighting Irish football team
- John Andrew Hiestand (1824-1890), American politician, Member of the U.S. House of Representatives from Pennsylvania (1885-1889)
- Joseph Hiestand (1906-2004), American politician, former member of the Ohio House of Representatives (1967-1974)
- Samuel Hiestand (1782-1838), American bishop of the Church of the United Brethren in Christ
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Siebmacher, J.J. Siebmachers Wappenbuch. München, Battenberg: 1975. Print.
- Rolland, and H.V. Rolland. Illustrations to the Armorial general by J. B. Rietstap 6 volumes in 3. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1976. Print.
- Neubecker, Ottfried. Wappen-Bilder-Lexikon der bürgerlichen Geschlechter Deutschlands, Oesterreichs und der Schweiz. Battenberg, München: 1985. Print.
- Göbel, Otto. Niederdeutsche Familiennamen der Gegenwart Wolfshagen-Schäbentz. Franz: Westphal, 1936. Print.
- Tobler-Meyer, Wilhelm. Familiennamen der Ostschweiz. Zürich: 1894. Print.
- Rupp, Daniel L. A Collection of Upwards of Thirty Thousand Names of German, Swiss, Dutch, French and Other Immigrants to Pennsylvania from 1727 to 1776. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 2000. Print. (ISBN 978-0806303024).
- Bahlow, Hans. Deutschlands geographische Namenwelt Etymologisches Lexikon der Fluss- und Ortsnamen alteuropaischer Herkunft. Frankfurt: Suhrkamp, 1985. Print.
- Brechenmacher, Josef Karlmann. Deutches Namenbuch. Stuttgart: Verlag von Adolf Bonz & Comp, 1928. Print.
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
The Hiestand Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Hiestand Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 10 April 2015 at 08:22.
on orders of $85 or more