100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The surname Hiestand is derived from the Germanic tribe of the Hessians.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Hess, Hesse, Esse, Hessel, Hesselin, Hesso, Hesler and many more.
First found in Austria, where the name became noted for its many branches in the region, each house acquiring a status and influence which was envied by the princes of the region. In their later history the name became a power unto themselves and were elevated to the ranks of nobility as they grew into this most influential family.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Hiestand research. Another 283 words (20 lines of text) covering the years 1416, 1584, 1764, 1790, 1791 and 1854 are included under the topic Early Hiestand History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Hiestand Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Hiestand Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Johannes Hiestand, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1727
- Jacob Hiestand, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1752
- Samuel Hiestand (1782-1838), American bishop of the Church of the United Brethren in Christ
- Joseph Hiestand (1906-2004), American politician, former member of the Ohio House of Representatives (1967-1974)
- John Andrew Hiestand (1824-1890), American politician, Member of the U.S. House of Representatives from Pennsylvania (1885-1889)
- Harry Hiestand (b. 1958), American football coach for the Notre Dame Fighting Irish football team
- Emily Hiestand (b. 1947), American writer and poet; her awards include: 1988 National Poetry Series, for Green the Witch Hazel Wood, selected by U.S. Poet Laureate Jorie Graham; 1988 The Nation/ Discovery Prize; and 1990 Whiting Writers' Award
- Edgar Willard Hiestand (1888-1970), American businessman and politician, Member of the U.S. House of Representatives from California (1953-1963)
- John Andrew Hiestand (1824-1890), American Republican politician, Member of Pennsylvania State Senate 16th District, 1861-63; U.S. Representative from Pennsylvania 9th District, 1885-89
- Edgar Willard Hiestand (1888-1970), American Republican politician, U.S. Representative from California 21st District, 1953-63; Defeated, 1962; Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from California, 1960
- B. Frank Hiestand, American Republican politician, Presidential Elector for Pennsylvania, 1928; Delegate to Republican National Convention from Pennsylvania, 1932
- Fogleman, Aaron Spencer. Hopeful Journeys German Immigration, Settlement, and Political Culture in Colonial America 1717-1775. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 1986. Print. (ISBN 978-0812215489).
- Rolland, and H.V. Rolland. Illustrations to the Armorial general by J. B. Rietstap 6 volumes in 3. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1976. Print.
- Jones, Henry Z. Palatine Families of New York 2 Volumes. Rockland, ME: Picton Press, 2001. Print. (ISBN 978-0961388829).
- Kapff, Rudolf. Schwäbische Geschlechtsnamen. Stuttgart: Verlag Silberburg, 1927. Print.
- Strassburger, Ralph B. German Pioneers The Original Lists of Arrivals in the Port of Philadelphia 3 Volumes. Baltimore: Picton Press, 1992. Print. (ISBN 978-0929539980).
- Haverkamp, Alfred. Medieval Germany 1056-1273 2nd edition. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print.
- Rupp, Daniel L. A Collection of Upwards of Thirty Thousand Names of German, Swiss, Dutch, French and Other Immigrants to Pennsylvania from 1727 to 1776. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 2000. Print. (ISBN 978-0806303024).
- Bahlow, Hans (Edda Gentry trns). Dictionary of German Names . Madison, Wisconsin: Max Kade Institute, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-924119-35-7).
- Bentley, Elizabeth P. Passenger Arrivals at the Port of New York 1820-1829. Baltimore, Maryland: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1999. Print.
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
The Hiestand Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Hiestand Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 12 November 2015 at 09:16.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!