Hiestand History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The surname Hiestand is derived from the Germanic tribe of the Hessians.
Early Origins of the Hiestand family
The surname Hiestand was first found in Austria, where the name became noted for its many branches in the region, each house acquiring a status and influence which was envied by the princes of the region. In their later history the name became a power unto themselves and were elevated to the ranks of nobility as they grew into this most influential family.
Important Dates for the Hiestand family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Hiestand research. Another 142 words (10 lines of text) covering the years 1416, 1584, 1764, 1790, 1791 and 1854 are included under the topic Early Hiestand History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Hiestand Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Hess, Hesse, Esse, Hessel, Hesselin, Hesso, Hesler and many more.
Early Notables of the Hiestand family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Hiestand Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Hiestand migration to the United States
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Typical Hiestand Emigration from the United Kingdom to North America
Hiestand Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Johannes Hiestand, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1727 
- Jacob Hiestand, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1752 
Contemporary Notables of the name Hiestand (post 1700)
- Samuel Hiestand (1782-1838), American bishop of the Church of the United Brethren in Christ
- Joseph Hiestand (1906-2004), American politician, former member of the Ohio House of Representatives (1967-1974)
- John Andrew Hiestand (1824-1890), American politician, Member of the U.S. House of Representatives from Pennsylvania (1885-1889)
- Harry Hiestand (b. 1958), American football coach for the Notre Dame Fighting Irish football team
- Emily Hiestand (b. 1947), American writer and poet; her awards include: 1988 National Poetry Series, for Green the Witch Hazel Wood, selected by U.S. Poet Laureate Jorie Graham; 1988 The Nation/ Discovery Prize; and 1990 Whiting Writers' Award
- Edgar Willard Hiestand (1888-1970), American businessman and politician, Member of the U.S. House of Representatives from California (1953-1963)
- John Andrew Hiestand (1824-1890), American Republican politician, Member of Pennsylvania State Senate 16th District, 1861-63; U.S. Representative from Pennsylvania 9th District, 1885-89 
- Edgar Willard Hiestand (1888-1970), American Republican politician, U.S. Representative from California 21st District, 1953-63; Defeated, 1962; Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from California, 1960 
- B. Frank Hiestand, American Republican politician, Presidential Elector for Pennsylvania, 1928; Delegate to Republican National Convention from Pennsylvania, 1932 
You May Also Like
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, November 12) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html