on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Origins Available: German, Jewish
Where did the Jewish Hess family come from? What is the Jewish Hess family crest and coat of arms? When did the Hess family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Hess family history?
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
- Caspar Hess, a German mercenary, who remained in America after the Revolution
Hess Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Catharine Hess, who is on record in New York city in 1709
- Joseph Hess, who landed in New York in 1709
- Wilhelm Hess, who landed in New York in 1709
- Johannes Hess, who landed in New York, NY in 1710
- Henrich Hess, who arrived in America in 1724
Hess Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- John Fred Hess, aged 14, landed in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1807
- Georg Hess, who landed in America in 1831
- Gottlieb Jacob Hess, aged 57, landed in Missouri in 1838
- John Gottlieb Hess, aged 28, arrived in Missouri in 1838
- Hartman Hess, aged 24, arrived in Missouri in 1840
Hess Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Magdalena Hess, aged 26, arrived in New York, NY in 1928
Hess Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Mr. Jacob Hess U.E. who settled in Canada c. 1784
Hess Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Louise Wilhelmina Hess, a farm worker, arrived in South Australia in 1848 aboard the ship "Victoria"
- Victor Francis Hess (1883-1964), American physicist, who shared the Nobel prize in 1936
- Dean Elmer Hess (1917-2015), American Air Force Colonel involved in the "Kiddy Car Airlift," the rescue of 950 orphans and 80 orphanage staff from the path of the Chinese advance during the Korean War on December 20, 1950
- Harry Hess (1906-1969), American geologist
- Orvan Hess (1906-2002), American doctor who invented the fetal heart monitor
- Brigadier-General Walter Wood Jr. Hess (1892-1972), American Commandant of Camp Carson (1950-1952)
- Max Hess, American Olympic gold medalist for gymnastics at the 1904 Summer Games
- Moses Hess (1812-1875), German socialist and theorist
- Walter Rudolf Hess (1881-1973), Swiss physiologist, who shared the 1949 Nobel Prize in Medicine
- Erika Hess (b. 1962), Swiss alpine skier
- Germain Henri Hess (1802-1850), Russian-Swiss chemist
- family History of Inter-Married Branches of the Families of Brown, Doane, Hess, Peck, Wintermute by Maurice E. Peck.
- Descendants of John Hess 1809-1888: A Hess Genealogy Through Pioneer Hans Hess by James H. Hess.
- Crispin, M. Jackson and Leonce Mary. Falaise Roll Recording Prominent Companions of William Duke of Normandy at the Conquest of England. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Papworth, J.W and A.W Morant. Ordinary of British Armorials. London: T.Richards, 1874. Print.
- Mills, A.D. Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4).
- Sanders, Joanne McRee Edition. English Settlers in Barbados 1637-1800. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Innes, Thomas and Learney. The Tartans of the Clans and Families of Scotland 1st Edition. Edinburgh: W & A. K. Johnston Limited, 1938. Print.
- Reaney P.H and R.M. Wilson. A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X).
- Leeson, Francis L. Dictionary of British Peerages. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1121-5).
- Fairbairn. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
- Chadwick, Nora Kershaw and J.X.W.P Corcoran. The Celts. London: Penguin, 1790. Print. (ISBN 0140212116).
The Hess Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Hess Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 9 April 2015 at 09:16.
on orders of $85 or more