100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The surname Herzog was first found in Bavaria
, where the name was anciently associated with the tribal conflicts of the area. They declared allegiances to many nobles and princes of early history, lending their influence in struggles for power and status within the region. They branched into many houses, and their contributions were sought by many leaders in their search for power.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Herzog, Herzig, Hertzog, Hercog, Hartzog, Gertzog, Hartog, Hartoch, Hertogs, Hertogson and many more.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Herzog research. Another 173 words (12 lines of text) covering the year 1670 is included under the topic Early Herzog History in all our PDF Extended History products
More information is included under the topic Early Herzog Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Herzog Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Margaretha Herzog, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1735
- Jacob Herzog, who landed in Carolina in 1738
- Anna Herzog, who came to Carolina in 1738
- Anna Herzog, who arrived in Carolina in 1738
- Andreas Herzog, who came to Philadelphia in 1750
Herzog Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Frederick Herzog, who landed in Ohio in 1824
- Caroline Herzog, who landed in Texas in 1846
- Peter Herzog, who landed in North America in 1846
- Joh Herzog, who arrived in Texas in 1846
- Henry Herzog, aged 24, arrived in Missouri in 1847
Herzog Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Christian Herzog, who arrived in Quebec in 1850
- Paul M. Herzog, American Democrat politician, Member, National Labor Relations Board, 1945-53; Chair, National Labor Relations Board, 1945-53
- Minnie Herzog, American Republican politician, Member of New York Republican State Committee, 1930-36, 1961; Delegate to Republican National Convention from New York, 1936, 1940, 1944, 1948, 1960
- Martin H. Herzog (b. 1878), American politician, Member of Wisconsin State Assembly from Racine County 3rd District, 1939-40
- Leonard Herzog, American politician, Socialist Labor Candidate for U.S. Representative from Ohio 3rd District, 1900
- Joseph Herzog, American politician, Candidate for New York State Assembly from Erie County 8th District, 1900
- John Herzog, American politician, Farmer-Labor Candidate for Illinois State Senate 11th District, 1922
- Jacob H. Herzog, American Democrat politician, Candidate for U.S. Representative from New York 29th District, 1968
- Jacob B. Herzog, American politician, Member of Pennsylvania State House of Representatives from Berks County, 1893-96
- George Herzog, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Wisconsin, 1932
- Ralph H. Herzog, American politician, Mayor of Hays, Kansas, 1956
- Haverkamp, Alfred. Medieval Germany 1056-1273 2nd edition. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print.
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Bahlow, Hans. Mecklenburgisches Namenbüchlein Ein Führer durch Mecklenburgs Familiennamen. Rostock: Carl Hinstorffs Verlag, 1932. Print.
- Bentley, Elizabeth P. Passenger Arrivals at the Port of New York 1820-1829. Baltimore, Maryland: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1999. Print.
- Gritzner, M. Handbuch der heraldischen Terminologie in zwölf Zungen. Nürnberg: 1890. Print.
- Karlsruhe. Badisches Generallandesarchiv Baden Emigration lists 1866-1911. Salt Lake City: Microfilm of Card Index by the Genealogical Society of Utah. Print.
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Gottschald, Max. Deutsche Namenkunde unsere Familiennamen nach ihrer Entstehung und Bedeutung. München: J.F. Lehmanns Verlag, 1932. Print.
- Preuss, Otto. Die Lippischen Familiennamen mit Berücksichtigung der Ortsnamen. Detmold: Meyer'sche Hofbuchh, 1887. Print.
The Herzog Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Herzog Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 6 November 2015 at 10:46.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!