Helmuth History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The distinguished German surname Helmuth is thought to be of patronymic origin, deriving from the name of the father of the original bearer. There are no records that document the use of "Helmuth" as a first name during the Middle Ages; thus, the name is probably derived from the Germanic personal name "Heilmut," which is composed of two elements: the Old High German "heil," meaning "healthy," and the Old High German "muot," meaning "spirit."
Early Origins of the Helmuth family
The surname Helmuth was first found in Saxony, where the ancestral home of the family is thought to be located. The earliest known bearer of the name was Andr. Helmut, who was a bookkeeper from Basel living in Radolfzell in 1478. The young Helmuth family was instrumental during this formative time, figuring prominently in the early history of the region and contributing greatly to the development of medieval German society.
Important Dates for the Helmuth family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Helmuth research. Another 115 words (8 lines of text) covering the years 1491, 1494, 1591, 1746, and 1764 are included under the topic Early Helmuth History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Helmuth Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Helmuth, Hellmuth, Helmut, Hellmut and others.
Early Notables of the Helmuth family (pre 1700)
Another 36 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Helmuth Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Helmuth migration to the United States
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Helmuth Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Martin Helmuth, who landed in Galveston, Tex in 1844 
- Heinrich Helmuth, aged 3, who arrived in Texas in 1845 
Contemporary Notables of the name Helmuth (post 1700)
- Justus Christian Henry Helmuth (1745-1825), German-American Lutheran clergyman
- Margaret Mara Helmuth (b. 1957), American composer
- Eric Helmuth (b. 1965), American composer of choral concert and church music
- Frits Helmuth (1931-2004), Danish film actor
- Osvald Helmuth (1894-1966), Danish stage and film actor and revue singer
- William Helmuth Heyen (b. 1940), American poet, editor, and literary critic
- W. Helmuth Mathee, American politician, U.S. Vice Consul in Zurich, 1924 
- Helmuth Holzinger (1928-1992), Austrian entomologist
- Helmuth Rilling (b. 1933), German choral conductor and an academic teacher, founder of the Gächinger Kantorei (1954), the Bach-Collegium Stuttgart (1965), the Oregon Bach Festival (1970), the Internationale Bachakademie Stuttgart (1981)
- Helmuth Lohner (1933-2015), Austrian actor and theatre director
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, October 19) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html