Hegeman History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The German surname Hegeman, like many surnames, was taken from some geographical feature near the dwelling place of its first bearer. Coming from the Old Norse "haga," or some local variation of the word, the name means "one who lives near a hedged or fenced enclosure."
Early Origins of the Hegeman family
The surname Hegeman was first found in Bavaria, where the name was closely identified in early medieval times with the feudal society which would become prominent throughout European history. The name would later emerge as a noble family with great influence, having many distinguished branches, and become noted for its involvement in social, economic and political affairs. The earliest known bearer of the name was Walther vom Hage, recorded in 1345.
Important Dates for the Hegeman family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Hegeman research. Another 83 words (6 lines of text) covering the year 1820 is included under the topic Early Hegeman History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Hegeman Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Haag, Hage, Hag, Hager, Hagemann, Hegemann, Heggemann and many more.
Early Notables of the Hegeman family (pre 1700)
Another 41 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Hegeman Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Hegeman migration to the United States
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Hegeman Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Adriaan Hegeman, who arrived in Long Island in 1650-1651 
- Hendricus Hegeman, who arrived in New York in 1651 
- Jacobus Hegeman, who landed in New York in 1651 
- Joseph Hegeman, who arrived in New York in 1687 
- Hendrickus Hegeman, who landed in New York in 1687 
Hegeman Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Mr. Hegeman, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1855 
Contemporary Notables of the name Hegeman (post 1700)
- John R. Hegeman, American politician, Candidate for New York State Senate 32nd District, 1932; Candidate for New York State Assembly from Saratoga County, 1933 
- Irving H. Hegeman, American politician, Candidate for New York State Senate, 1948, 1952, 1954, 1962 
- George E. Hegeman, American politician, Member of Pennsylvania State House of Representatives from Bucks County, 1873-74 
- Adrian Hegeman (1788-1861), American Democrat politician, Postmaster at Brooklyn, New York, 1832-41; Member of New York State Assembly from Kings County, 1840 
- Adrian Hegeman, American politician, Member of New York State Assembly from New York County, 1809-10 
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, October 26) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html