100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the Irish Heflin family come from? What is the Irish Heflin family crest and coat of arms? When did the Heflin family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Heflin family history?The name is derived from the Irish Gaelic personal name "ó hEamhthaigh." The origins of this ancient personal name are obscure. It is possible that there is a connection to the word "eamh" which denotes a "groaning or exclamation of disgust."
Spelling variations of this family name include: Heaphy, O'Heaphy, Heaphey, Heavey, O'Heavy, Heafy, O'Heafey, Heflin and many more.
First found in the Athlone region, County Westmeath (Irish: An Iarmhí) in the Irish Midlands, province of Leinster. Early recorded instances of the name are rare, but there was a bearer recorded as a husbandman of Thisteinagh, in Couty Westmeath in 1601.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Heflin research. Another 333 words(24 lines of text) covering the years 1659, 1775, and 1835 are included under the topic Early Heflin History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 42 words(3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Heflin Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Heflin Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Bernardo Heflin, aged 36, arrived in New Orleans, La in 1829
- Emmett Evan "Van" Heflin (1910-1971), American Academy Award winning film and theater actor
- Howell Thomas Heflin (1921-2005), American politician, Chairman of the Senate Select Committee on Ethics (1987-1992), United States Senator from Alabama (1979-1997), Chief Justice of the Alabama Supreme Court (1971-1977)
- James Thomas Heflin (1869-1951), nicknamed "Cotton Tom," American politician, Member of the U.S. House of Representatives from Alabama (1904-1920), 25th Secretary of State of Alabama (1903-1904)
- Mary Frances Heflin (1920-1994), American actress
- Joseph Paul "Joe" Heflin (b. 1952), American politician, Texas State Representative (2007-2011)
- Randolph Rutherford Heflin (1918-1999), American Major League Baseball pitcher who played for the Boston Red Sox from 1945 through 1946
- Marta Heflin (1945-2013), American actress
- Vince Heflin (b. 1959), American former NFL football wide receiver who played from 1982 to 1986
- Robert Stell Heflin (1815-1901), American politician and legislator for the state of Georgia and Alabama
- Bronson Wayne Heflin (b. 1971), American former Major League Baseball pitcher for the Philadelphia Phillies in the 1996 season
- Read, Charles Anderson. The Cabinet of Irish Literature Selections from the Works of the Chief Poets, Orators and Prose Writers of Ireland 4 Volumes. London: Blackie and Son, 1884. Print.
- MacLysaght, Edward. Irish Families Their Names, Arms and Origins 4th Edition. Dublin: Irish Academic, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-7165-2364-7).
- Woulfe, Rev. Patrick. Irish Names and Surnames Collected and Edited with Explanatory and Historical Notes. Kansas City: Genealogical Foundation, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-940134-403).
- McDonnell, Frances. Emigrants from Ireland to America 1735-1743 A Transcription of the report of the Irish House of Commons into Enforced emigration to America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1331-5).
- Kennedy, Patrick. Kennedy's Book of Arms. Canterbury: Achievements, 1967. Print.
- Harris, Ruth-Ann and B. Emer O'Keefe. The Search for Missing Friends Irish Immigrant Advertisements Placed in the Boston Pilot Volume II 1851-1853. Boston, MA: New England Historic Genealogical Society, 1991. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1992. Print.
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Fitzgerald, Thomas W. Ireland and Her People A Library of Irish Biography 5 Volumes. Chicago: Fitzgerald. Print.
The Heflin Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Heflin Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 15 December 2014 at 22:11.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!