100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the Irish Heflin family come from? What is the Irish Heflin family crest and coat of arms? When did the Heflin family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Heflin family history?The name is derived from the Irish Gaelic personal name "ó hEamhthaigh." The origins of this ancient personal name are obscure. It is possible that there is a connection to the word "eamh" which denotes a "groaning or exclamation of disgust."
Spelling variations of this family name include: Heaphy, O'Heaphy, Heaphey, Heavey, O'Heavy, Heafy, O'Heafey, Heflin and many more.
First found in the Athlone region, County Westmeath (Irish: An Iarmhí) in the Irish Midlands, province of Leinster. Early recorded instances of the name are rare, but there was a bearer recorded as a husbandman of Thisteinagh, in Couty Westmeath in 1601.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Heflin research. Another 333 words(24 lines of text) covering the years 1659, 1775, and 1835 are included under the topic Early Heflin History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 42 words(3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Heflin Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Heflin Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Bernardo Heflin, aged 36, arrived in New Orleans, La in 1829
- James Milton Heflin Jr. (b. 1943), American retired NASA official, former associate director for technical activities at Johnson Space Center in Houston
- Julia Dorn Heflin (1911-2007), American journalist, a theatre producer and a teacher
- Bronson Wayne Heflin (b. 1971), American former Major League Baseball pitcher for the Philadelphia Phillies in the 1996 season
- Robert Stell Heflin (1815-1901), American politician and legislator for the state of Georgia and Alabama
- Vince Heflin (b. 1959), American former NFL football wide receiver who played from 1982 to 1986
- Marta Heflin (1945-2013), American actress
- Randolph Rutherford Heflin (1918-1999), American Major League Baseball pitcher who played for the Boston Red Sox from 1945 through 1946
- Joseph Paul "Joe" Heflin (b. 1952), American politician, Texas State Representative (2007-2011)
- Mary Frances Heflin (1920-1994), American actress
- James Thomas Heflin (1869-1951), nicknamed "Cotton Tom," American politician, Member of the U.S. House of Representatives from Alabama (1904-1920), 25th Secretary of State of Alabama (1903-1904)
- Woulfe, Rev. Patrick. Irish Names and Surnames Collected and Edited with Explanatory and Historical Notes. Kansas City: Genealogical Foundation, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-940134-403).
- Tepper, Michael Ed & Elizabeth P. Bentley Transcriber. Passenger Arrivals at the Port of Philadelphia 1800-1819. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1986. Print.
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Bell, Robert. The Book of Ulster Surnames. Belfast: Blackstaff, 1988. Print. (ISBN 10-0856404160).
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Fairbairn. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1992. Print.
- Chadwick, Nora Kershaw and J.X.W.P Corcoran. The Celts. London: Penguin, 1970. Print. (ISBN 0140212116).
- Bowman, George Ernest. The Mayflower Reader A Selection of Articales from The Mayflower Descendent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Johnson, Daniel F. Irish Emigration to New England Through the Port of Saint John, New Brunswick Canada 1841-1849. Baltimore, Maryland: Clearfield, 1996. Print.
The Heflin Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Heflin Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 15 December 2014 at 22:11.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!