Hefley History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The name is derived from the Irish Gaelic personal name "ó hEamhthaigh."  The origins of this ancient personal name are obscure. It is possible that there is a connection to the word "eamh" which denotes a "groaning or exclamation of disgust."
Early Origins of the Hefley family
The surname Hefley was first found in the Athlone region, County Westmeath (Irish: An Iarmhí) in the Irish Midlands, province of Leinster. Later some records of the family were found in Waterford and Cork. 
Early recorded instances of the name are rare, but there was a bearer recorded as a husbandman of Thisteinagh, in Couty Westmeath in 1601.
Important Dates for the Hefley family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Hefley research. More information is included under the topic Early Hefley History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Hefley Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Heaphy, O'Heaphy, Heaphey, Heavey, O'Heavy, Heafy, O'Heafey, Heflin and many more.
Early Notables of the Hefley family (pre 1700)
Another 42 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Hefley Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Hefley migration to the United States
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Hefley Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Joshans Carol Hefley, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1737 
Contemporary Notables of the name Hefley (post 1700)
- Joel M. Hefley (b. 1935), American Republican politician, Member of Colorado State House of Representatives, 1977-78; Member of Colorado State Senate, 1979-86; U.S. Representative from Colorado 5th District, 1987-2007 
- Herald Hefley, American Democrat politician, Candidate for Iowa State House of Representatives from Dallas County, 1950 
- H. R. Hefley, American Democrat politician, Candidate for Iowa State Senate 17th District, 1948 
You May Also Like
- ^ MacLysaght, Edward, More Irish Families. Dublin: Irish Academic Press, 1982. Print. (ISBN 0-7165-0126-0)
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, November 12) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html