Heffington History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Heffington family
The surname Heffington was first found in Leicestershire at Evington, now an electoral ward and administrative division of the city of Leicester. Up until the 1930s, it was a small village that dated back to the Domesday Book of 1086 where it was first listed as Avintone and literally meant "estate associated with a man called Eafa," from the Old English personal name + "ing" + "tun."  At that time, it was part of the Gartree wapentake, land held by Hugh de Grandmesnil. There was land enough for 7 ploughs and included a mill and was worth 40 shillings. Another Evington in Gloucestershire was listed as Givingtune at that time was also found in this reference. This hamlet, now in the parish of Leigh was land held by St Peter of Westminster and was in the Deerhurst hundred. Rather small, it had land enough for 1 hide and 1 virgate and was administered by William fitzBaderon.  Conjecturally, the surname is descended from the tenant of the lands of Evington in Leicestershire where Ivo was under-tenant to Hugh de Grandesnmil. The Lords of Evington are not believed to be related as they were originally Greys who became Lords of Evington in the 13th century.
Early History of the Heffington family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Heffington research. Another 116 words (8 lines of text) covering the years 1221, 1221 and 1617 are included under the topic Early Heffington History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Heffington Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Evington, Effington, Efington, Everington, Evinton, Everinton, Evingdon, Everingdon, Ivington, Iffington and many more.
Early Notables of the Heffington family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Heffington Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In the United States, the name Heffington is the 17,311st most popular surname with an estimated 2,487 people with that name. 
Migration of the Heffington family
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: Ann Evins, who settled in Maryland in 1674; Ja Evins, who arrived in Virginia in 1681; Francis Everington, who came to Virginia in 1699; Dorothy Hevington, who arrived in Virginia in 1705.
|Contemporary Notables of the name Heffington (post 1700) ||+|
- Don Heffington (1950-2021), American drummer, percussionist, and songwriter, known for his work with Bob Dylan, Emmylou Harris, Jackson Browne, Victoria Williams and others
- Ryan Heffington (b. 1973), American two-time Grammy Award nominated dancer, choreographer and dance studio owner based in Los Angeles
- Mills, A.D., Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4)
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds., Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8)
- "What are the 5,000 Most Common Last Names in the U.S.?". NameCensus.com, https://namecensus.com/last-names/