Heemskerk History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Heemskerk family
The surname Heemskerk was first found in Holland, where Heemskerk is a municipality and a town in the province of North Holland which dates back to at least the year 1063, when the town was known as Hemezen Kyrica, Latinized Frisian meaning Church of Hemezen. The place holds many historical monuments, among them the Huldtoneel, a man-made hill located near the current Rijksstraatweg, where once the Counts of Holland where inaugurated. Two castles, Castle Oud Haerlem and Castle Heemskerk were built in the twelfth and thirteenth century respectively to protect the County of Holland against the West Frisians. Both castles survive today. Castle Heemskerk, renamed Castle Marquette in 1610 is now owned by a Spanish hoteleliers.
Early History of the Heemskerk family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Heemskerk research. Another 96 words (7 lines of text) covering the years 1697, 1815, 1567, 1607, 1596, 1597, 1656, 1622, 1645, 1704, 1645 and 1704 are included under the topic Early Heemskerk History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Heemskerk Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Heemskerck, Heemskercke, Heemskercks, Heemskerckes, Heemskeerck, Hemskerck, Hemmskerck, Heemskerckk and many more.
Early Notables of the Heemskerk family (pre 1700)
From this era of Dutch history, those of this who distinguished themselves included Jacob van Heemskerk (1567-1607), Dutch explorer and admiral commanding the Dutch fleet at the Battle of Gibraltar, famous for his attempt to discover an Arctic passage from Europe to China in 1596, died as a result of leg wounds caused by cannonball, shortly after the Battle of Gibraltar; Johan van Heemskerk (1597-1656), Dutch poet, was best known for his first volume of poems, Minnekunst (The Art of Love), which appeared in 1622.
Egbert van Heemskerk...
Another 86 words (6 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Heemskerk Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In Netherlands, the name Heemskerk is the 215th most popular surname with an estimated 6,023 people with that name. 
| Heemskerk migration to the United States ||+|
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Heemskerk Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Simon Heemskerk, aged 26, who immigrated to America, in 1892
Heemskerk Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Leonardus Heemskerk, aged 1, who immigrated to the United States from Beverwy, Holland, in 1913
- Michel Heemskerk, aged 17, who settled in America from Amsterdam, Holland, in 1913
- Petrus Heemskerk, aged 36, who immigrated to the United States from Beverwy, Holland, in 1913
- Hermanus M. Heemskerk, aged 26, who immigrated to the United States from Hillegom, Holland, in 1916
- Johannes Heemskerk, aged 20, who landed in America from Sassenheim, Holland, in 1916
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
|Contemporary Notables of the name Heemskerk (post 1700) ||+|
- Frank Heemskerk (b. 1969), retired Dutch politician
- Fenny Heemskerk (1919-2007), Dutch female chess master
- Marianne Yvonne Heemskerk (b. 1944), Dutch silver and bronze medalist Olympic butterfly swimmer at the 1960 Summer Olympics
- Frederike Johanna Maria "Femke" Heemskerk (b. 1987), Dutch nine-time gold medalist swimmer
- Theodorus "Theo" Heemskerk (1852-1932), Dutch politician
- Jan Heemskerk Abrahamszoon (1818-1897), Dutch politician, prime minister of the Netherlands (1874 to 1877) and (1883 to 1888)