100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the German Heckmann family come from? What is the German Heckmann family crest and coat of arms? When did the Heckmann family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Heckmann family history?The Heckmann name comes from the Middle High German word "hecke," or "hegge," meaning "hedge;" as such it was likely originally a topographic name for someone who lived near a hedge. This name is common in southern Germany and the Rhineland.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Heck, Hecke, van Heck, van Hecke, van den Hecke and others.
First found in Flanders, where the name Heck became noted for its many branches in the region, each house acquiring a status and influence which was envied by the princes of the region. In their later history the name became a power unto themselves and were elevated to the ranks of nobility as they grew into this most influential family.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Heckmann research. Another 109 words(8 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Heckmann History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Heckmann Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Heckmann Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Melchior Heckmann, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1749
- Caspar Heckmann, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1751
- Hans Adam Heckmann, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1752
- Catharina Heckmann, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1754
Heckmann Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Cath Marg Heckmann, aged 40, landed in Ohio in 1832
- Franz Arnold Heckmann, who landed in America in 1840
- Sophia Heckmann, who arrived in America in 1845
- Phillip Heckmann, aged 23, landed in New York, NY in 1850
- Elisabeth Heckmann, aged 54, arrived in Buffalo, NY in 1853
- Friedrich Heckmann (b. 1941), German director of the research institute European forum for migration studies and emeritus professor of Sociology at the School of Social and Economic Sciences at the University of Bamberg
- Wilhelm Heckmann (1897-1995), German concert and easy listening musician who from 1937 to 1945 was imprisoned in the Nazi concentration camps
- Alfred Heckmann (1914-1993), German Luftwaffe flying ace of World War II credited with five aerial victories, recipient of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross
- Otto Hermann Leopold Heckmann (1901-1983), German astronomer, Director of the Hamburg Observatory from 1941 to 1962, awarded the James Craig Watson Medal in 1961 and the Bruce Medal in 1964, eponym of the asteroid 1650 Heckmann
- B. Heckmann, Australian chief officer on the Nella Dan in 1965, eponym of Heckmann Island, Antarctica
- Strassburger, Ralph B. Pennsylvania German Pioneers The Original Lists of Arrivals in the Port of Philadelphia 3 Volumes. Baltimore: Picton Press, 1992. Print. (ISBN 978-0929539980).
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Preuss, Otto. Die Lippischen Familiennamen mit Berücksichtigung der Ortsnamen. Detmold: Meyer'sche Hofbuchh, 1887. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Garland, Mary and Henry Garland Editions. Oxford Companion To German Literature 3rd Edition. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1997. Print. (ISBN 0198158963).
- Tobler-Meyer, Wilhelm. Familiennamen der Ostschweiz. Zürich: 1894. Print.
- Bahlow, Hans (Edda Gentry trns). Dictionary of German Names . Madison, Wisconsin: Max Kade Institute, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-924119-35-7).
- Jones, George F. The Germans of Colonial Georgia 1733-1783 Revised edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0806311614).
- Siebmacher, J.J. Siebmachers Wappenbuch. München, Battenberg: 1975. Print.
The Heckmann Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Heckmann Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 16 December 2014 at 06:55.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!