Hecke History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The Hecke name derives from the Middle Low German word "ha-ke," Dutch "haak," which means "a hook." The name may have been a nickname for someone with some deformity in a hook shape; or perhaps an occupational name for someone who made or used hooks.
Early Origins of the Hecke family
The surname Hecke was first found in Holland, where the name became noted for its many branches in the region, each house acquiring a status and influence which was envied by the princes of the region. The name was first recorded in South Holland, a province of Holland, the most crowded province of the Netherlands. The principal cities are Rotterdam, Leyden and Shiedam. Noted is the famed castle of Teilengen where Jacqueline of Bavaria is buried. In their later history the surname became a power unto themselves and were elevated to the ranks of nobility as they grew into this most influential family.
Important Dates for the Hecke family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Hecke research. Another 107 words (8 lines of text) covering the years 1692, 1688, 1605, 1690, 1615, 1655, 1620 and 1684 are included under the topic Early Hecke History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Hecke Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Haack, Haak, Hack, Hacke, Hacker, Häckel, Hacken, Heck, Hecke, Heckel, Hecken and many more.
Early Notables of the Hecke family (pre 1700)
From this era of Dutch history, those of this who distinguished themselves included Theodore Haak (1605-1690), a German Calvinist scholar; Abraham van den Hecken (c.1615-c.1655), a Dutch painter...
Another 28 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Hecke Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Hecke migration to the United States
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Hecke Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Bernard Hecke, who settled in Philadelphia in 1818
- Joh Gerh Hecke, who arrived in America in 1820 
- Bemh Heinr Hecke, who landed in America in 1837 
Hecke Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Wilhelm Hecke, who landed in Chile in 1900 
Contemporary Notables of the name Hecke (post 1700)
- Frederick Van Hecke, American Republican politician, Candidate for U.S. Representative from Wisconsin 5th District, 1972 
- Erich Hecke (1887-1947), German mathematician whose best work was in analytic number theory
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, October 8) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html