100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Origins Available: Dutch
The surname Hassell was first found in Holland, where the name became noted for its many branches in the region, each house acquiring a status and influence which was envied by the princes of the region. The name was first recorded in Amsterdam, an ancient 13th century town held by the Lords of Amstel. Giesebrecht II built a castle there. Geisbrecht III built the dam to keep out the sea. It is first mentioned in charters of 1275 when Floris IV, the count of Holland granted its charter. It became a city of great mercantile wealth. It hold great treasures of art. In their later history the surname became a power unto themselves and were elevated to the ranks of nobility as they grew into a most influential family.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Hasselt, Hassell, Hasselte, Hassl, Hasseltner, Hasselts and many more.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Hassell research. Another 175 words (12 lines of text) covering the years 181 and 1816 are included under the topic Early Hassell History in all our PDF Extended History products
More information is included under the topic Early Hassell Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Hassell Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- William Hassell settled in Virginia in 1635
- Wm Hassell, aged 24, landed in Virginia in 1635
- John Hassell, who landed in Ipswich, Massachusetts in 1636
- Richard Hassell, who landed in Cambridge, Massachusetts in 1647
- Alice Hassell, who arrived in Maryland in 1660
Hassell Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Richard Hassell settled in New England in 1743
- Ann Hassell, who arrived in America in 1762
- Ernst Hassell, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1778
Hassell Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Benjn. Hassell, who came to Philadelphia in 1808
- Abraham Hassell, who settled in New York, NY in 1823
- Sampson Hassell, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1823
- Margareth Hassell, aged 26, arrived in New York in 1854
- Caroline Hassell, aged 8, arrived in New York in 1854
Hassell Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Patrick Hassell, who arrived in Nova Scotia in 1750
Hassell Settlers in Australia in the 18th Century
- Thomas Hassall (1794-1868) English clergyman, grazier and magistrate, who arrived in Australia with his family in 1798 settling in Camden
Hassell Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- A.H. Hassell arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Senator" in 1849
- William Hassell, aged 32, a labourer, arrived in South Australia in 1851 aboard the ship "Ascendant"
- William Hassell, aged 32, arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "The Ascendant" in 1851
- Pricilla Hassell, aged 31, arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "The Ascendant" in 1851
- William Hassell, aged 11, arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "The Ascendant" in 1851
- George Hassell (1881-1937), American stage and film actor
- Gerald L. Hassell (b. 1952), American Chairman, CEO and President of The Bank of New York Mellon
- Trenton Lavar Hassell (b. 1979), American professional NBA basketball forward
- S. W. Hassell, American politician
- Richard B. Hassell (1852-1942), American politician, Mayor of Everett, Washington, 1912
- Leo E. Hassell, American politician, Mayor of Okmulgee, Oklahoma, 1952-53
- J. W. Hassell Jr., American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Texas, 1952
- Hugh H. Hassell, American Republican politician, Postmaster at Rockville, Maryland, 1955-61 (acting, 1955-56)
- A. J. Hassell, American politician, Mayor of Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, 1993-97
- Leroy R Hassell Sr., American jurist, the first black chief justice of the Virginia Supreme Court
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Rietstap, Johannes Baptist. Armorial Général. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Tobler-Meyer, Wilhelm. Familiennamen der Ostschweiz. Zürich: 1894. Print.
- Bahlow, Hans. Deutschlands geographische Namenwelt Etymologisches Lexikon der Fluss- und Ortsnamen alteuropaischer Herkunft. Frankfurt: Suhrkamp, 1985. Print.
- Hanks, Hodges, Mills and Room. The Oxford Names Companion. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-19-860561-7).
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Kapff, Rudolf. Schwäbische Geschlechtsnamen. Stuttgart: Verlag Silberburg, 1927. Print.
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
The Hassell Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Hassell Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 6 December 2015 at 14:04.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!