Halle History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
The distinguished German surname Halle is derived from the Old High German "halla," meaning "hall" or "manor." This name was probably originally borne either by someone who lived near a large house, or by someone who was employed at a hall or manor.
Early Origins of the Halle family
The surname Halle was first found in Baden, where the family was anciently associated with the tribal conflicts of the area. They declared allegiances to many nobles and princes of early history, lending their influence in struggles for power and status within the region. They branched into many houses, and their contributions were sought by many leaders in their search for power.
Early History of the Halle family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Halle research. Another 112 words (8 lines of text) covering the years 1632, 1721, 1731, 1790, and 1814 are included under the topic Early Halle History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Halle Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Hall, Halland, Hallandsfar, Hallay, Hallberg, Halle, Hallegg, Hallenaut, Haller, Hallermund, Hallersdorf, Hallerstein, Halletius, Halleux, Hallez, Hallmann and many more.
Early Notables of the Halle family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Halle Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Halle World Ranking
In the United States, the name Halle is the 8,924th most popular surname with an estimated 2,487 people with that name.  However, in Quebec, Canada, the name Halle is ranked the 565th most popular surname.  And in France, the name Halle is the 5,369th popular surname with an estimated 1,000 - 1,500 people with that name. 
Halle migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Halle Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Richard Halle, who arrived in Virginia in 1703 
- George Caspar Halle, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1741 
- Hans Halle, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1749 
- Durst Halle, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1749 
- Christoph Halle, who landed in America in 1780 
Halle Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Johann Jacob Halle, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1800 
- Thomas Halle, who landed in New York, NY in 1816 
- Abraham H Halle, who landed in New York in 1827 
- Louis Francois Halle, who landed in New York, NY in 1829 
- Adolph Halle, who arrived in New Orleans, La in 1850 
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Halle (post 1700) +
- Morris Halle (1923-2018), Latvian-American linguist who was an Institute Professor
- Bruce Thomas Halle (1930-2018), American billionaire businessman, and the founder and chairman of Discount Tire; he had an estimated net worth of 5.2 billion at the time of his death
- Samuel Horatio Halle, American co-founder with his brother Salmon Potland Chase Halle of Halle Brothers Co. of Cleveland, Ohio, a former department store chain
- Sir Charles Hallé (1819-1895), Anglo-German pianist and conductor, founder of The Hallé orchestra in 1858
- Morten Halle (b. 1957), Norwegian jazz musician
- Gunnar Halle (b. 1965), Norwegian football manager and former player
- John Halle Gutfreund (1929-2016), American businessman and investor, CEO of Salomon Brothers Inc
- Halle Berry (b. 1966), American Academy Award winning actress, former fashion model, and beauty queen
Related Stories +
- ^ https://namecensus.com/most_common_surnames.htm
- ^ https://statistique.quebec.ca/fr/document/noms-de-famille-au-quebec/tableau/les-1-000-premiers-noms-de-famille-selon-le-rang-quebec
- ^ http://www.journaldesfemmes.com/nom-de-famille/nom/
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)