Hagman History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The German surname Hagman emerged in the lands that formed the modern state of Lower Saxony, which is presently bordered by the North Sea, the Hartz mountains and the Elbe and Ems rivers. Lower Saxony was previously a medieval dukedom. In the Middle Ages, many of the Saxon lands were a part of the Holy Roman Empire, which was characterized by the Feudal System of local government. Before this era, people were known only by a single name. However, as the population increased and travelers set out on their journeys, it became necessary for people to adopt a second name to identify themselves.
Early Origins of the Hagman family
The surname Hagman was first found in Hamburg, where the family contributed greatly to the development of an emerging nation and would later play a large role in the political conflicts of the area. The family branched into many houses, many of which acquired estates and manors throughout the surrounding regions, where they played significant roles in the social and political affairs. Individual bearers of the name first mentioned in ancient chronicles include Heinse Hoke (Hokeman) in Stralsund, 1277, and Johann Hackeman in Bremen, 1372.
Important Dates for the Hagman family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Hagman research. Another 90 words (6 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Hagman History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Hagman Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Hackman, Hackmann, Hackemann, Hackeman, Hackerman, Hackermann, Hakkeman, Hakkemann, Hakeman, Hakemann, Hakerman, Hakermann, Haackeman, Haackman, Haakman, Haakmann, Haakermann, Hachman, Hachmann, Hokeman, Hokemann, Hoeckerman and many more.
Early Notables of the Hagman family (pre 1700)
Another 48 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Hagman Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Hagman family
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: Peter Hackman, who came to Philadelphia in 1727; as did Jacob Hachman in 1731; Johannes Hackman in 1749; and Rudolph Hackmann in 1736. Hans Adam Hackman arrived in Philadelphia in 1749.
Contemporary Notables of the name Hagman (post 1700)
- Larry Martin Hagman (1931-2012), American film and television actor, producer and director, son of legendary actress Mary Martin, best known for his role as "J.R." in the long running television series "Dallas" 
- William R. Hagman, American Republican politician, Delegate to Republican National Convention from Kansas, 1956 
- John Hagman, American politician, Socialist Workers Candidate for Presidential Elector for Iowa, 1972 
- Matti Risto Tapio "Hakki" Hagman (1955-2016), Finnish ice hockey professional
You May Also Like
- ^ Larry Hagman. (Retrieved 2011, January 21) Larry Hagman. Retrieved from http://www.larryhagman.com
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2016, January 12) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html