Haefner History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The Haefner surname comes from the Middle High German words "hafner," or "hafen," meaning "pot," or "dish." As such, Haefner was originally an occupational name for a potter.
Early Origins of the Haefner family
The surname Haefner was first found in Austria and southern Bavaria, where the family made a considerable contribution to the feudal society which became the backbone of early modern Europe. The family became prominent in local affairs and branched into many houses. These played important roles in local political conflicts, in which each group sought power and status in an ever changing territorial profile. Chronicles first mention Hugo Hafinare of Constance in the year 1158, Uli Hafner (Haefeli) of the Aargau region in 1490, and Hueglin Haffner of Kirchheim in 1406. Chronicles also mention an ancient branch of the family whose members were knights of the Kingdom of Styria from 1310 to 1478.
Early History of the Haefner family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Haefner research. Another 231 words (16 lines of text) covering the years 1629, 1631, 1741, 1630, 1640, 1702, 1735, 1764, 1861, 1759, 1833, 1776 and 1782 are included under the topic Early Haefner History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Haefner Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Haffner, Hafner, Haafner, Hafener, Haffener, Haeffner, Heffner, Haefner, Hefner, Haefeli (Swiss) and many more.
Early Notables of the Haefner family (pre 1700)
During this period prominent bearers of the name Haefner were Enrico Haffner (1640-1702), an Italian painter of quadratura during the Baroque period, his father was from Switzerland. Phillip Hafner (1735-1764), was an Austrian lawyer who later became a dramatist. His numerous plays introduced good-humored farce to Viennese comedy and their influence was felt well into the next century. Otto Titan von Hefner, the son of Georg von Hefner, became famous as an authority on heraldry and related studies. In...
Another 79 words (6 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Haefner Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Haefner migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Haefner Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Georg Fridrich Haefner, who arrived in Frederick County, Maryland in 1716 
- Kilian Haefner, who arrived in America in 1780 
- Georg Haefner, who settled in America in 1781
- Friedrich Haefner, who landed in America in 1783 
Haefner Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Johannes Haefner, aged 18, who landed in New York, NY in 1876 
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)