100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Origins Available: Dutch, English, German, Welsh
The colorful history of Saxony provides a glimpse at the oldest origins of the Gunther family. In the medieval era, the German lands were inhabited by a variety of Barbarian tribes. The ancient dukedom of Saxony derived its name from the Germanic tribe name the Saxons who inhabited the territory after the fall of the Roman Empire.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Gunther, Gunter, Guenther, Guenter, Gunte, Guenthe, Gunthe, Guente and many more.
First found in Saxony, where the name emerged in mediaeval times as one of the notable families of the region. From the 13th century the surname was identified with the great social and economic evolution which made this territory a landmark contributor to the development of the nation.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Gunther research. Another 161 words (12 lines of text) covering the years 1589, 1653, 1714, 1695, 1723 and 1818 are included under the topic Early Gunther History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 85 words (6 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Gunther Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Gunther Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Richard Gunther, who arrived in Virginia in 1650
Gunther Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Peter Gunther, who came to Philadelphia in 1738
- Kilian Gunther, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1750
- Christian Gunther, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1751
- Johan Caspar Gunther, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1752
- Heinrich Gunther, who landed in Lancaster, Pennsylvania in 1753
Gunther Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Henrich Gunther, aged 28, arrived in Pennsylvania in 1804
- Joh Joachim Gunther, who landed in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1804
- Anna Cath Gunther, who landed in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1804
- Anna Juliana Hinrietta Gunther, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1804
- Barbara Gunther, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1806
- George "Doc" Gunther (b. 1919), American politician, longest-serving state legislator in Connecticut's history
- Richard E. Gunther, American Democrat politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from California, 2008
- Earl O. Gunther, American politician, Candidate for U.S. Representative from Pennsylvania 32nd District, 1920
- Diana Gunther, American Republican politician, Presidential Elector for Oklahoma, 2004
- Charles Godfrey Gunther (1822-1885), American Democrat politician, Mayor of New York City, New York, 1864-66; Candidate for New York State Senate 7th District, 1878
- Blair F. Gunther, American Republican politician, Delegate to Republican National Convention from Pennsylvania, 1948 (alternate), 1964; Candidate for Superior Court Judge in Pennsylvania, 1960
- August P. Gunther, American politician, Candidate for U.S. Representative from New Jersey 11th District, 1926
- Aileen M. Gunther (b. 1954), American Democrat politician, Member of New York State Assembly 98th District, 2004-; Delegate to Democratic National Convention from New York, 2004
- Edward C. Gunther, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from New Jersey, 1924
- Franklin Mott Gunther (1885-1941), American politician, U.S. Minister to Egypt, 1928-30; Romania, 1937-41
- Göbel, Otto. Niederdeutsche Familiennamen der Gegenwart Wolfshagen-Schäbentz. Franz: Westphal, 1936. Print.
- Neubecker, Ottfried. Wappen-Bilder-Lexikon der bürgerlichen Geschlechter Deutschlands, Oesterreichs und der Schweiz. Battenberg, München: 1985. Print.
- Zoder, Rudolf. Familiennamen in Ostfalen. Hildesheim: Geog Olms Verlagsbuchhandlung, 1968. Print.
- Bahlow, Hans (Edda Gentry trns). Dictionary of German Names . Madison, Wisconsin: Max Kade Institute, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-924119-35-7).
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Strassburger, Ralph B. Pennsylvania German Pioneers The Original Lists of Arrivals in the Port of Philadelphia 3 Volumes. Baltimore: Picton Press, 1992. Print. (ISBN 978-0929539980).
- Gottschald, Max. Deutsche Namenkunde unsere Familiennamen nach ihrer Entstehung und Bedeutung. München: J.F. Lehmanns Verlag, 1932. Print.
- Brechenmacher, Josef Karlmann. Deutches Namenbuch. Stuttgart: Verlag von Adolf Bonz & Comp, 1928. Print.
- Tarneller, Josef. Zur Namenkunde Tirolen Familiennamen. Bozen: Buchhandlung, 1923. Print.
- Bahlow, Hans. Abhandlungen zur Namenforschung und Buchgeschichte. 1980. Print. (ISBN 978-3768690522).
The Gunther Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Gunther Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 1 February 2016 at 09:17.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!