on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Origins Available: Dutch, English, German, Welsh
Where did the German Gunther family come from? What is the German Gunther family crest and coat of arms? When did the Gunther family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Gunther family history?The colorful history of Saxony provides a glimpse at the oldest origins of the Gunther family. In the medieval era, the German lands were inhabited by a variety of Barbarian tribes. The ancient dukedom of Saxony derived its name from the Germanic tribe name the Saxons who inhabited the territory after the fall of the Roman Empire.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Gunther, Gunter, Guenther, Guenter, Gunte, Guenthe, Gunthe, Guente and many more.
First found in Saxony, where the name emerged in mediaeval times as one of the notable families of the region. From the 13th century the surname was identified with the great social and economic evolution which made this territory a landmark contributor to the development of the nation.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Gunther research. Another 161 words (12 lines of text) covering the years 1589, 1653, 1714, 1695, 1723 and 1818 are included under the topic Early Gunther History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 85 words (6 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Gunther Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Gunther Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Richard Gunther, who arrived in Virginia in 1650
Gunther Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Peter Gunther, who came to Philadelphia in 1738
- Kilian Gunther, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1750
- Christian Gunther, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1751
- Johan Caspar Gunther, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1752
- Heinrich Gunther, who landed in Lancaster, Pennsylvania in 1753
Gunther Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Henrich Gunther, aged 28, arrived in Pennsylvania in 1804
- Joh Joachim Gunther, who landed in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1804
- Anna Cath Gunther, who landed in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1804
- Anna Juliana Hinrietta Gunther, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1804
- Barbara Gunther, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1806
- George "Doc" Gunther (b. 1919), American politician, longest-serving state legislator in Connecticut's history
- John Gunther (1901-1970), American author
- Robert Theodore Gunther (1869-1940), American science historian, founder of the Museum of the History of Science, Oxford
- Lee Gunther (1938-1998), American film editor
- Jyllian Gunther, American film director
- Mr. Charles Gunther, English Fireman from England, who worked aboard the RMS Lusitania and survived the sinking
- Neil J. Gunther (b. 1950), Australian-born, American scientist
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Rietstap, Johannes Baptist. Armorial Général. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Jones, Henry Z. Palatine Families of New York 2 Volumes. Rockland, ME: Picton Press, 2001. Print. (ISBN 978-0961388829).
- Bahlow, Hans. Abhandlungen zur Namenforschung und Buchgeschichte. 1980. Print. (ISBN 978-3768690522).
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Tarneller, Josef. Zur Namenkunde Tirolen Familiennamen. Bozen: Buchhandlung, 1923. Print.
- Rupp, Daniel L. A Collection of Upwards of Thirty Thousand Names of German, Swiss, Dutch, French and Other Immigrants to Pennsylvania from 1727 to 1776. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 2000. Print. (ISBN 978-0806303024).
- Kneschke, Dr. Ernest Heinrich. Neues allgemeines Deutsches Adels-Lexicon 9 Volumes New General German Aristocracy Lexicon. Leipzig: Friedrich Voigt, 1859. Print.
- Zoder, Rudolf. Familiennamen in Ostfalen. Hildesheim: Geog Olms Verlagsbuchhandlung, 1968. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
The Gunther Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Gunther Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 13 November 2014 at 16:22.
on orders of $85 or more