The name Gugliotta came from the Latin personal name
Guglielmo or Guilielmus, which is derived from the personal name William.
Early Origins of the Gugliotta family
The surname Gugliotta was first found in Pesaro, anciently Pisaurum, a city and seaport of the Marches and capital of the province of Pesaro and Urbino.
Early History of the Gugliotta family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Gugliotta research.Another 123 words (9 lines of text) covering the years 1229, 1655, 1710, 1698, 1573, 1624 and 1793 are included under the topic Early Gugliotta History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Gugliotta Spelling Variations
In comparison with other European surnames, Italian surnames have a surprising number of forms. They reflect the regional variations and the many dialects of the Italian language, each with its own distinctive features. For example, in Northern Italy the typical Italian surname suffix is "i", whereas in Southern Italy it is "o". Additionally, spelling changes frequently occurred because medieval scribes and church officials often spelled names as they sounded rather than according to any specific spelling rules. The spelling variations
in the name Gugliotta include Guglielmi, Guglielmo, Di Guglielmo, Guglielmelli, Guglielmetti, Guglielmini, Guglielmino, Guglielmotti, Guglielmucci, Guglielmoni, Guglielmone, Ghielmi, Gilelmi, Gelmi, Gelmo, Gelmetti and many more.
Early Notables of the Gugliotta family (pre 1700)
Prominent among members of the family was Domenico Guglielmini (1655 -1710), a Fellow of the Royal Society in 1698; Giulio-Cesare Gugliemi, a distinguished captain of the military in 1573, as well as Giacomo and Bernardino Guglielmi, both Philosophers
in Siena. Alessandro Guglielmi was a man of letters; another Alessandro Guglielmi was... Another 83 words (6 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Gugliotta Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Gugliotta family to the New World and Oceana
Analysis of immigration records indicates that some of the first North American immigrants bore the name Gugliotta or a variant listed above:
Gugliotta Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Antonino Gugliotta, aged 23, who landed in America from Messina, Italy, in 1904
- Antonio Gugliotta, aged 29, who landed in America from Caprileone, Italy, in 1909
- Antonio Gugliotta, aged 23, who emigrated to the United States from Muro Luco, Italy, in 1910
- Angelo Gugliotta, aged 22, who emigrated to the United States from Bella, Italy, in 1910
- Antonio Gugliotta, aged 19, who settled in America from Castroes Clari, Italy, in 1911
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Gugliotta (post 1700)
- Thomas James Gugliotta (b. 1969), former American professional NBA basketball player who played from 1992 to 2005
- Sandra Gugliotta (b. 1969), Argentine three-time Argentine Film Critics Association Award nominated film director, screenplay writer, and producer