Guglielmi History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The name Guglielmi came from the Latin personal name Guglielmo or Guilielmus, which is derived from the personal name William.
Early Origins of the Guglielmi family
The surname Guglielmi was first found in Pesaro, anciently Pisaurum, a city and seaport of the Marches and capital of the province of Pesaro and Urbino.
Early History of the Guglielmi family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Guglielmi research. Another 62 words (4 lines of text) covering the years 1229, 1655, 1710, 1698, 1573, 1624 and 1793 are included under the topic Early Guglielmi History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Guglielmi Spelling Variations
In comparison with other European surnames, Italian surnames have a surprising number of forms. They reflect the regional variations and the many dialects of the Italian language, each with its own distinctive features. For example, in Northern Italy the typical Italian surname suffix is "i", whereas in Southern Italy it is "o". Additionally, spelling changes frequently occurred because medieval scribes and church officials often spelled names as they sounded rather than according to any specific spelling rules. The spelling variations in the name Guglielmi include Guglielmi, Guglielmo, Di Guglielmo, Guglielmelli, Guglielmetti, Guglielmini, Guglielmino, Guglielmotti, Guglielmucci, Guglielmoni, Guglielmone, Ghielmi, Gilelmi, Gelmi, Gelmo, Gelmetti and many more.
Early Notables of the Guglielmi family (pre 1700)
Prominent among members of the family was Domenico Guglielmini (1655 -1710), a Fellow of the Royal Society in 1698; Giulio-Cesare Gugliemi, a distinguished captain of the military in 1573, as well as Giacomo and Bernardino Guglielmi, both Philosophers in Siena. Alessandro Guglielmi was a man of letters; another Alessandro Guglielmi was Governor of Spoleto and an ambassador to various courts around Italy. Pietro Telmoni Guglielmoni was a...
Another 67 words (5 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Guglielmi Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In France, the name Guglielmi is the 6,358th most popular surname with an estimated 1,000 - 1,500 people with that name. 
| Guglielmi migration to the United States ||+|
Analysis of immigration records indicates that some of the first North American immigrants bore the name Guglielmi or a variant listed above:
Guglielmi Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Angelo Guglielmi, aged 18, who settled in America from Comabbio, in 1893
Guglielmi Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Adamo Guglielmi, aged 23, who landed in America from Guglionesi, Italy, in 1907
- Alessandro Guglielmi, aged 33, who settled in America from Gurfiano, Italy, in 1910
- Antonio Guglielmi, aged 22, who landed in America from Gurfiano, Italy, in 1910
- Carminella Guglielmi, aged 77, who immigrated to the United States from Avigliano, Italy, in 1911
- Antonio Guglielmi, aged 17, who immigrated to the United States from Valenzano, Italy, in 1912
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
|Contemporary Notables of the name Guglielmi (post 1700) ||+|
- Ralph Vincent Guglielmi (b. 1933), former American football quarterback in the National Football League
- Louis Guglielmi (1916-1991), Catalan musician of Italian extraction
- Pietro Alessandro Guglielmi (1728-1804), Italian opera composer
- Gary Graham Christopher Guglielmi (b. 1958), Australian former international Speedway rider