Gsell History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Gsell family
The surname Gsell was first found in Switzerland, where the family came from the estate of Grueningen in the canton of Zurich, and gained a significant reputation for its contribution to the emerging medieval society. It later became more prominent as many branches of the same house acquired distant estates and branches, some in foreign countries, always elevating their social status through their great contributions to society.
Early History of the Gsell family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Gsell research. Another 190 words (14 lines of text) covering the years 1618, 1745, 1673, 1740, 1697, 1704, 1707, 1715, 1707, 1773, 1734, 1800, 1707, 1783, 1707, 1783 and 1307 are included under the topic Early Gsell History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Gsell Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Gessler, Gesler, Gesseler, Giselherr, Geseller and others.
Early Notables of the Gsell family (pre 1700)
Notables of the time with the surname Gsell were Georg Gsell (1673-1740), Swiss Baroque painter, art consultant and art dealer. He was born in St. Gallen where he married his first wife in 1697. They moved to Amsterdam in 1704 where their fifth daughter Katharina was born in 1707. His wife died and he remarried Anna Horstmans, but divorced her in 1715. Gsell died, aged 67, in St. Petersburg and his wife...
Another 71 words (5 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Gsell Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Gsell migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Gsell Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Joseph Gsell, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1844 
Gsell Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Hermann Gsell, aged 21, who immigrated to the United States from Davos, Switzerland, in 1904
- Arthur Gsell, aged 16, who landed in America from Mulhouse, Germany, in 1910
- Christine Gsell, aged 21, who settled in America from Mulhausen, Germany, in 1910
- Lothard Gsell, aged 11, who immigrated to America from Mulhouse, Germany, in 1910
- Jean Baptiste Gsell, aged 28, who landed in America from Kaysersberg, Germany, in 1911
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Gsell (post 1700) +
- Maria Gsell, American high school teacher
- Guy Gsell, member of the American children's theatre troupe Paper Bag Players
- Brad K. Gsell, American President of The Independent Board for Presbyterian Foreign Missions
- Wieland Gsell, German politician, Mayor of Zellingen, Germany
- Tatjana Gsell, German reality TV personality
- Dorothea Maria Gsell (1678-1743), née Graff, German painter from Nurenberg
- Alex Gsell, German musician, former member of German band XPQ-21
- Stéphane Gsell (1864-1932), French historian
- René Gsell (1921-2000), French linguist
- Lucien Laurent- Gsell (b. 1944), French illustrator
- ... (Another 2 notables are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)