Grosso History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
From the historical and enchanting Italian region of Piedmont emerged a multitude of noble families, including the distinguished Grosso family. During the Middle Ages, as populations grew and travel between regions became more frequent, the people of Tuscany found it necessary to adopt a second name to identify themselves and their families. The process of adopting fixed hereditary surnames was not complete until the modern era, but the use of hereditary family names in Italy began in the 10th and 11th centuries. Italian hereditary surnames were developed according to fairly general principles and they were characterized by a profusion of derivatives coined from given names. Although the most common type of family name found in Piedmont is the patronymic surname, which is derived from the father's given name, the nickname type of surname is also frequently found. Nickname surnames were derived from an eke-name, or added name. They usually reflected the physical characteristics or attributes of the first person that used the name. The surname Grosso is a name for a person who was corpulent or stout. The surname Grossi is derived from the word grasso, which means overweight.
Early Origins of the Grosso family
The surname Grosso was first found in the year 1200, with the Grosso family, of which many members were involved in the government.
Early History of the Grosso family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Grosso research. More information is included under the topic Early Grosso History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Grosso Spelling Variations
Enormous variation in spelling and form characterizes those Italian names that originated in the medieval era. This is caused by two main factors: regional tradition, and inaccuracies in the recording process. Before the last few hundred years, scribes spelled names according to their sounds. Spelling variations were the unsurprising result. The variations of Grosso include Grossi, Grosso, Ingrosso and Del Grosso and others.
Early Notables of the Grosso family (pre 1700)
Prominent among members of the family was Bartolomeo de Grossi, a 15th century painter from Parma. Among his works are frescoes in the Cathedral of Parma, and works in the Milan Cathedral. Pietro Grossi was a vicar and was mayor of Russi in 1512; Francesco di Pietro Grossi was a Senator in Ravenna in 1512. Carlo Grossi (c.1634-1688)...
Another 57 words (4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Grosso Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Grosso migration to the United States +
Grossos were some of the first of the immigrants to arrive in North America:
Grosso Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Alfonsino Grosso, aged 18, who landed in America from Tufo, in 1906
- Amalia Grosso, aged 39, who immigrated to America from Alessandria, Italy, in 1913
- Alessandro Grosso, aged 39, who immigrated to the United States from Alessandria, Italy, in 1913
- Amalia Grosso, aged 20, who landed in America from Padula, Italy, in 1915
- Adolfo Grosso, aged 29, who settled in America from Altavilla, Italy, in 1920
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Grosso (post 1700) +
- Salvatore "Sonny" Grosso (1933-2020), German-born, American movie and television producer and New York City police detective, best known for his real life role in what would be known as The French Connection (1971)
- Charlie Grosso (b. 1979), Chinese American artist and photographer
- Tony Grosso (1913-1994), American bookmaker
- Alessandro Del Grosso (b. 1972), Italian footballer
- Francesco Grosso (b. 1921), retired Italian professional football player
- Pietro Grosso (1923-1957), Italian professional football player
- Fabio Grosso (b. 1977), Italian World Cup winning footballer
- Damián Grosso (b. 1975), Argentine football goalkeeper
- Nick Grosso (b. 1968), British playwright
- Don Grosso (1915-1985), Canadian ice hockey forward
- ... (Another 1 notables are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Related Stories +