100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the German Groff family come from? What is the German Groff family crest and coat of arms? When did the Groff family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Groff family history?The distinguished surname Groff was first found in Switzerland.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Graf, Grafe,Graef, Graff, Graffen, Graffin, Grafen, Grafin, Grav, Graaf and many more.
First found in Switzerland, where the family contributed to the development of the region. They became prominent in local affairs and branched into many houses which played important roles in savage tribal and national conflicts, each group seeking power and status in an ever changing territorial profile.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Groff research. Another 243 words(17 lines of text) covering the years 1769, 1807, 1485, 1527, 1599, 1664, 1611, 1678, 1671, 1719, 1841, 1826, 1815 and 1869 are included under the topic Early Groff History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 167 words(12 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Groff Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Groff Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Hans Peter Groff, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1749
- Jacob Groff, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1749
- Christian Groff, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1749
- Peter Groff, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1750
- Andrew Groff, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1751
Groff Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Christoph Groff, aged 36, landed in Pennsylvania in 1805
- John Adolf Groff, who arrived in Washington County, Pennsylvania in 1839
- John George Groff, who landed in New York in 1840
- George Groff, who arrived in New York, NY in 1854
- Mike Groff (b. 1961), American former race car driver
- Jonathan Drew Groff (b. 1985), American singer-songwriter, stage, television and film actor
- Robbie Groff (b. 1966), former American race car driver
- Rinne Groff, American playwright and performer
- Lauren Groff (b. 1978), American novelist and short story writer
- Sarah Groff (b. 1981), American athlete who competes in triathlon
- David Groff, American poet, writer, and independent editor
- Ulysses Grant Groff (1865-1950), large American landowner and philanthropist
- Charles Wister Groff (1898-1987), renowned American southern California real estate developer
- Bentley, Elizabeth P. Passenger Arrivals at the Port of New York 1820-1829. Baltimore, Maryland: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1999. Print.
- Bahlow, Hans. Deutschlands geographische Namenwelt Etymologisches Lexikon der Fluss- und Ortsnamen alteuropaischer Herkunft. Frankfurt: Suhrkamp, 1985. Print.
- Bahlow, Hans (Edda Gentry trns). Dictionary of German Names . Madison, Wisconsin: Max Kade Institute, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-924119-35-7).
- Siebmacher, J.J. Siebmacher's Grosses Wappenbuch 35 Volumes. Germany: Bauer & Raspe. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Brechenmacher, Josef Karlmann. Deutches Namenbuch. Stuttgart: Verlag von Adolf Bonz & Comp, 1928. Print.
- Strassburger, Ralph B. Pennsylvania German Pioneers The Original Lists of Arrivals in the Port of Philadelphia 3 Volumes. Baltimore: Picton Press, 1992. Print. (ISBN 978-0929539980).
- Oswald, G. Lexicon der Heraldik. Leipzig: 1984. Print.
- Rupp, Daniel L. A Collection of Upwards of Thirty Thousand Names of German, Swiss, Dutch, French and Other Immigrants to Pennsylvania from 1727 to 1776. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 2000. Print. (ISBN 978-0806303024).
- Gritzner, M. Handbuch der heraldischen Terminologie in zwölf Zungen. Nürnberg: 1890. Print.
The Groff Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Groff Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 19 May 2015 at 21:55.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!