on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the German Greenberg family come from? What is the German Greenberg family crest and coat of arms? When did the Greenberg family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Greenberg family history?The name Greenberg is a habitational surname taken on from any of numerous places named Grünberg.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Grunberg, Gruenberg, Grunburg, Gruneberg, Gruenburg, Grunenberg, Gruenenberg, Grunenburg, Gruenenburg, Gruenenberg, Greenberg, Gruenberger, Grunbuerg, Grunperg, Grunperger, Gruenbuerg, Greunbuerger, Gruenperg, Gruenperger, Gruendberg, Grunberger and many more.
First found in Baden, where since ancient times the name Grunberg was closely associated with social and political advancements of the region's feudal society. In later years the family often merged with other distinguished families, some of whom played significant roles in the local social and political affairs of the area.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Greenberg research. Another 145 words(10 lines of text) covering the years 1655 and 1706 are included under the topic Early Greenberg History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Greenberg Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Greenberg Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Morris Greenberg, who landed in Mississippi in 1888
- Henry Benjamin "Hank" Greenberg (1911-1986), nicknamed "Hammerin' Hank" and "Hankus Pankus," an American Major League Baseball first baseman in the 1930s and 1940s, inducted into the National Baseball Hall of Fame in 1956
- Joseph Harold Greenberg (1915-2001), American ling Uist, recipient of the Haile Selassie I Prize for African Research (1967) and the Talcott Parsons Prize for Social Science (1997)
- Clement Greenberg (1909-1994), American essayist
- Martin Harry Greenberg (1941-2011), American academic and speculative fiction anthologist, founder of Tekno Books and co-founder of the Sci-Fi Channel
- Seymour Greenberg (1920-2006), American clay-court tennis player in the 1940s and 1950s, inducted into the United States Tennis Association/Midwest Hall of Fame in 1990
- Morton Ira Greenberg (b. 1933), American jurist, Judge for the United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit (1987-2000)
- Richard Greenberg (b. 1958), American Tony Award winning Pulitzer Prize finalist playwright and television writer
- Michael James "Mike" Greenberg (b. 1967), American television anchor, television show host, and radio host for ESPN and ABC
- Seth Greenberg (b. 1956), American former head coach for the Virginia Tech Hokies men's basketball team
- Bryan E. Greenberg (b. 1978), American actor and musician, known for his starring role in the HBO original series How to Make It in America
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Bahlow, Hans. Deutschlands geographische Namenwelt Etymologisches Lexikon der Fluss- und Ortsnamen alteuropaischer Herkunft. Frankfurt: Suhrkamp, 1985. Print.
- Hildenbrand, A.M. Wappenfibel. Handbuch der Heraldik. Neustadt an der Aisch: 1970. Print.
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Rolland, and H.V. Rolland. Illustrations to the Armorial general by J. B. Rietstap 6 volumes in 3. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1976. Print.
- Bahlow, Hans. Mecklenburgisches Namenbüchlein Ein Führer durch Mecklenburgs Familiennamen. Rostock: Carl Hinstorffs Verlag, 1932. Print.
- Strassburger, Ralph B. Pennsylvania German Pioneers The Original Lists of Arrivals in the Port of Philadelphia 3 Volumes. Baltimore: Picton Press, 1992. Print. (ISBN 978-0929539980).
- Zoder, Rudolf. Familiennamen in Ostfalen. Hildesheim: Geog Olms Verlagsbuchhandlung, 1968. Print.
- Jones, George F. The Germans of Colonial Georgia 1733-1783 Revised edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0806311614).
The Greenberg Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Greenberg Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 12 February 2014 at 16:56.
on orders of $85 or more