Grap History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The distinguished German surname Grap is derived from the Old High German "graban," meaning "to dig." The name was originally used to indicate "a digger of graves or ditches."
Early Origins of the Grap family
The surname Grap was first found in Austria, where in ancient times the Graber family played a significant role within the region's feudal society. The name Grabner became prominent in local affairs and often intermarried with other distinguished families, some of whom played important roles in the territorial conflicts of the period.
Early History of the Grap family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Grap research. Another 129 words (9 lines of text) covering the years 1700, 1507, 1602, 1680, 1700, 1585, 1655, 1666, 1711 and 1666 are included under the topic Early Grap History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Grap Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Grabner, Grabber, Graeber, Graebner, Gravner, Grabbne, Grabne, Grubner, Grappner, Grapner, Grabere, Graben, Grabel, Grabert, Grable, Grabnere, Grabnen, Grabnel, Grabbere, Grabben, Grabbel, Greber, Grebere, Greben, Graebner, Graebnere, Graebnen, Graebber, Graebbere, Graebben, Craver and many more.
Early Notables of the Grap family (pre 1700)
During this period prominent bearers of the name Grap were Virgil von Graben (died 1507) was an Austrian noble and knight; Maria de Grebber (1602-1680), a Dutch Golden Age painter; David Graebner who was rewarded for his distinguished service in 1700 when he was ennobled; and Johann Gottlieb Grabbe (1585-1655) was a German...
Another 52 words (4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Grap Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Grap migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Grap Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Peter Grap, aged 19, who landed in America, in 1893
- Maria Grap, aged 15, who immigrated to America, in 1896
Grap Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Dora Grap, aged 18, who settled in America, in 1907
- Hermann Grap, aged 24, who landed in America from Vensesova, Hungary, in 1907
- Ettel Grap, aged 20, who immigrated to the United States from Minsk, Minsk, in 1908
- Shilipp Grap, aged 72, who settled in America, in 1908
- Minie Grap, aged 18, who immigrated to the United States from Minsk, Russia, in 1911
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Related Stories +