Grande History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The Grande surname comes from the word "grande" which means "tall," or "large," and evolved from a nickname for someone of large stature, in either size or reputation.
Early Origins of the Grande family
The surname Grande was first found in Ferrara, a city and comune in Emilia-Romagna, northern Italy, capital city of the Province of Ferrara. History dates the city back to 753. It was at war with Venice in 1471. It is a walled city and notable is the Church of S.Cristoforo. Knitted goods and shawls are made. In those ancient times only persons of rank, the podesta, clergy, city officials, army officers, artists, landowners were entered into the records. To be recorded at this time was in itself a family honor. The name was of ancient nobility.
Important Dates for the Grande family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Grande research. Another 86 words (6 lines of text) covering the years 1403, 1548, 1491, 1531, 1586, 1630, 1656, 1660, 1718, 1671, 1742, 1545, 1500 and 1578 are included under the topic Early Grande History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Grande Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Grandi, Grande and others.
Early Notables of the Grande family (pre 1700)
Prominent among members of the family was Ercole Grandi (1491-1531), Italian painter of the early- Renaissance period; Alessandro Grandi (1586-1630), Italian, Baroque composer; Jure Grando (Giure Grando) (died 1656), may have been the first real person described as a vampire in historical records, referred to several similar names that all meant something resembling a vampire and a warlock; Antonino Grano...
Another 59 words (4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Grande Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Grande migration to the United States
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Typical Grande Emigration from the United Kingdom to North America
Grande Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Thomas Grande, who arrived in Virginia in 1637 
- Thomas Grande, who settled in Virginia in 1651
Grande Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Hans Jacob Grande, who landed in America in 1743 
Grande Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Perico Grande, who arrived in America in 1827 
- Juan DeLa Grande, aged 45, who arrived in New Orleans, La in 1829 
- Juan Grande, who landed in Dominican Republic in 1836 
- Geo Grande, aged 25, who arrived in New Orleans, La in 1837 
- Francisco Grande, who landed in Florida in 1838 
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Grande Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Ulysses Grande, who landed in California in 1901 
Contemporary Notables of the name Grande (post 1700)
- Sidney R. Grande (b. 1927), former American head football at Jamestown College (1957-1963)
- Sean David Grande (b. 1971), American television and radio sportscaster-the voice of the Boston Celtics
- Louis Del Grande (b. 1943), American-born, Canadian television writer and actor, best known for starring role in Seeing Things
- John A. "Johnny" Grande (1930-2006), American musician from South Philadelphia, member of Bill Haley's backing band, The Comets
- George Grande (b. 1947), American sportscaster, part-time broadcaster for the Cincinnati Reds of Major League Baseball
- Frankie Grande (b. 1983), stage name of Frank James Michael Grande Marchione, an American dancer, actor, singer, producer, television host, older half-brother of singer and actress Ariana Grande
- Ariana Grande (b. 1993), stage name of Ariana Grande-Butera, an American four-time Grammy Award nominated singer and actress; she has been awarded three American Music Awards, three MTV Europe Music Awards, an MTV Video Music Award
- Rita Grande (b. 1975), Italian tennis player who hold 8 WTA Tour titles
- José Antonio 'Toni' Grande Cereijo (b. 1947), Spanish retired footballer
- Alessandro "Sandro" Grande (b. 1977), former Canadian soccer player for the Canada National Team (2004-2006)
- ... (Another 4 notables are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Historic Events for the Grande family
SS Alcoa Puritan
- J.E. Grande, American Able Seaman from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, who was working aboard the SS Alcoa Puritan traveling from Port of Spain, Trinidad to Mobile, Alabama when it was torpedoed by U-boat U-507; he survived the sinking 
You May Also Like
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Alcoa_Puritan_(1941) - (Retrieved 2018, February 8th)