on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Origins Available: Dutch, German
Where did the German Graff family come from? What is the German Graff family crest and coat of arms? When did the Graff family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Graff family history?The distinguished surname Graff was first found in Switzerland.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Graf, Grafe,Graef, Graff, Graffen, Graffin, Grafen, Grafin, Grav, Graaf and many more.
First found in Switzerland, where the family contributed to the development of the region. They became prominent in local affairs and branched into many houses which played important roles in savage tribal and national conflicts, each group seeking power and status in an ever changing territorial profile.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Graff research. Another 243 words (17 lines of text) covering the years 1769, 1807, 1485, 1527, 1599, 1664, 1611, 1678, 1671, 1719, 1841, 1826, 1815 and 1869 are included under the topic Early Graff History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 167 words (12 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Graff Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Graff Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Sebastian Graff came to Lancaster, Pennsylvania in 1719
- Christoff Graff, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1728
- George Graff, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1728
- Hans Jerg Graff, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1728
- Jahn Michael Graff, who landed in New York, NY in 1731-1751
Graff Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Anna Barbara Graff, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1803
- Elizabeth Graff, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1803
- Augustus Graff, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1845-1846
- Theodore Graff, aged 22, landed in New York, NY in 1847
- John M W Graff, who landed in St Clair County, Illinois in 1857
Graff Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Conrad Graff, who landed in Nova Scotia in 1749-1752
- Ester Graff, who arrived in Nova Scotia in 1757
- Catharina Graff, who arrived in Nova Scotia in 1757
Graff Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- William Graff, aged 34, a clerk, arrived in South Australia in 1848 aboard the ship "Alfred"
- John Isaac De Graff (1783-1848), American Democrat politician, U.S. Representative from New York, 1827-29, 1837-39; Mayor of Schenectady, New York, 1832-34, 1836, 1842, 1845
- Don A. De Graff, American politician, Village President of South Holland, Illinois, 2005-09
- Ilene Graff (b. 1949), American actress and singer from Brooklyn, New York
- Randy Graff (b. 1955), American actress
- Todd Graff (b. 1959), American actor
- Kasimir Romuald Graff (1878-1950), German astronomer, eponym of the Graff lunar crater and the Graff crater on Mars
- Gerald Graff, American professor, writer, and literary critic at the University of Illinois at Chicago
- Anton Graff (1736-1813), eminent Swiss portrait artist
- The Graff Book by Clyde L. Groff.
- Bahlow, Hans and Edda Gentry. Translation Dictionary of German Names 2nd Edition. Madison: University of Wisconsin, 2002. Print.
- Brechenmacher, Josef Karlmann. Deutches Namenbuch. Stuttgart: Verlag von Adolf Bonz & Comp, 1928. Print.
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Fogleman, Aaron Spencer. Journeys German Immigration, Settlement and Political Culture in Colonial America 1717-1775. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 1986. Print. (ISBN 978-0812215489).
- Kapff, Rudolf. Schwäbische Geschlechtsnamen. Stuttgart: Verlag Silberburg, 1927. Print.
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Preuss, Otto. Die Lippischen Familiennamen mit Berücksichtigung der Ortsnamen. Detmold: Meyer'sche Hofbuchh, 1887. Print.
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Strassburger, Ralph B. German Pioneers The Original Lists of Arrivals in the Port of Philadelphia 3 Volumes. Baltimore: Picton Press, 1992. Print. (ISBN 978-0929539980).
The Graff Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Graff Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 11 November 2015 at 11:01.
on orders of $85 or more