100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Origins Available: Dutch, German
The distinguished surname Graff was first found in Switzerland.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Graf, Grafe,Graef, Graff, Graffen, Graffin, Grafen, Grafin, Grav, Graaf and many more.
First found in Switzerland, where the family contributed to the development of the region. They became prominent in local affairs and branched into many houses which played important roles in savage tribal and national conflicts, each group seeking power and status in an ever changing territorial profile.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Graff research. Another 243 words (17 lines of text) covering the years 1769, 1807, 1485, 1527, 1599, 1664, 1611, 1678, 1671, 1719, 1841, 1826, 1815 and 1869 are included under the topic Early Graff History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 167 words (12 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Graff Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Graff Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Sebastian Graff came to Lancaster, Pennsylvania in 1719
- Christoff Graff, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1728
- George Graff, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1728
- Hans Jerg Graff, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1728
- Jahn Michael Graff, who landed in New York, NY in 1731-1751
Graff Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Anna Barbara Graff, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1803
- Elizabeth Graff, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1803
- Augustus Graff, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1845-1846
- Theodore Graff, aged 22, landed in New York, NY in 1847
- John M W Graff, who landed in St Clair County, Illinois in 1857
Graff Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Conrad Graff, who landed in Nova Scotia in 1749-1752
- Ester Graff, who arrived in Nova Scotia in 1757
- Catharina Graff, who arrived in Nova Scotia in 1757
Graff Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- William Graff, aged 34, a clerk, arrived in South Australia in 1848 aboard the ship "Alfred"
- John Isaac De Graff (1783-1848), American Democrat politician, U.S. Representative from New York, 1827-29, 1837-39; Mayor of Schenectady, New York, 1832-34, 1836, 1842, 1845
- Don A. De Graff, American politician, Village President of South Holland, Illinois, 2005-09
- Ilene Graff (b. 1949), American actress and singer from Brooklyn, New York
- Randy Graff (b. 1955), American actress
- Todd Graff (b. 1959), American actor
- Kasimir Romuald Graff (1878-1950), German astronomer, eponym of the Graff lunar crater and the Graff crater on Mars
- Gerald Graff, American professor, writer, and literary critic at the University of Illinois at Chicago
- Anton Graff (1736-1813), eminent Swiss portrait artist
- The Graff Book by Clyde L. Groff.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Gritzner, M. Handbuch der heraldischen Terminologie in zwölf Zungen. Nürnberg: 1890. Print.
- Strassburger, Ralph B. German Pioneers The Original Lists of Arrivals in the Port of Philadelphia 3 Volumes. Baltimore: Picton Press, 1992. Print. (ISBN 978-0929539980).
- Bahlow, Hans. Deutschlands geographische Namenwelt Etymologisches Lexikon der Fluss- und Ortsnamen alteuropaischer Herkunft. Frankfurt: Suhrkamp, 1985. Print.
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Brechenmacher, Josef Karlmann. Deutches Namenbuch. Stuttgart: Verlag von Adolf Bonz & Comp, 1928. Print.
- Hildenbrand, A.M. Wappenfibel. Handbuch der Heraldik. Neustadt an der Aisch: 1970. Print.
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Haverkamp, Alfred. Medieval Germany 1056-1273 2nd edition. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print.
The Graff Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Graff Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 23 April 2016 at 13:20.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!