100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Origins Available: Dutch, German
Where did the German Graf family come from? What is the German Graf family crest and coat of arms? When did the Graf family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Graf family history?The distinguished surname Graf was first found in Switzerland.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Graf, Grafe,Graef, Graff, Graffen, Graffin, Grafen, Grafin, Grav, Graaf and many more.
First found in Switzerland, where the family contributed to the development of the region. They became prominent in local affairs and branched into many houses which played important roles in savage tribal and national conflicts, each group seeking power and status in an ever changing territorial profile.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Graf research. Another 243 words(17 lines of text) covering the years 1769, 1807, 1485, 1527, 1599, 1664, 1611, 1678, 1671, 1719, 1841, 1826, 1815 and 1869 are included under the topic Early Graf History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 167 words(12 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Graf Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Graf Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Philip Leonhardt Graf, who, with his wife and five children, came to America in 1709
- Catharina Graf, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1744
- Katharina Graf, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1744
- Georg Graf arrived in Pennsylvania between 1743-1746
- Hans Adam Graf, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1747
Graf Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Fred Wm Graf, aged 22, landed in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1807
- Elise Graf, who arrived in North America in 1832-1849
- Frederick Graf, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1836
- Ferdinand Graf, aged 25, arrived in Missouri in 1841
- Martin Graf, aged 40, arrived in Missouri in 1841
Graf Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Maria Graf, aged 14, landed in New York, NY in 1902
- Lydia Graf, aged 4, landed in New York, NY in 1902
- Johannes Graf, aged 15, landed in New York, NY in 1902
- Martha Graf, aged 3, landed in New York, NY in 1902
- Mathilda Graf, aged 2, arrived in New York, NY in 1902
Graf Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Hans Graf, born in Switzerland in 1661 fled Switzerland for Alsace due to religious persecution, before settling in Canada, via Pennsylvania around 1717
- Allan Graf, American 2nd unit director/stunt coordinator
- Peter Graf (1938-2013), German tennis coach and manager, father of Steffi Graf
- Steffi Graf (b. 1969), German top-ranking tennis champion and Wimbledon champion
- Oskar Maria Graf (1894-1967), German author
- Arturo Graf (1848-1913), Italian poet of German extraction
- Dominik Graf (b. 1952), German film director from Munich, Bavaria
- Garland, Mary and Henry Garland Editions. Oxford Companion To German Literature 3rd Edition. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1997. Print. (ISBN 0198158963).
- Hildenbrand, A.M. Wappenfibel. Handbuch der Heraldik. Neustadt an der Aisch: 1970. Print.
- Kapff, Rudolf. Schwäbische Geschlechtsnamen. Stuttgart: Verlag Silberburg, 1927. Print.
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Zoder, Rudolf. Familiennamen in Ostfalen. Hildesheim: Geog Olms Verlagsbuchhandlung, 1968. Print.
- Jones, Henry Z. Palatine Families of New York 2 Volumes. Rockland, ME: Picton Press, 2001. Print. (ISBN 978-0961388829).
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Fogleman, Aaron Spencer. Journeys German Immigration, Settlement and Political Culture in Colonial America 1717-1775. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 1986. Print. (ISBN 978-0812215489).
The Graf Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Graf Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 3 May 2015 at 01:32.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!