100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Origins Available: German, Swiss
Where did the German Grable family come from? What is the German Grable family crest and coat of arms? When did the Grable family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Grable family history?The distinguished German surname Grable is derived from the Old High German "graban," meaning "to dig." The name was originally used to indicate "a digger of graves or ditches."
Spelling variations of this family name include: Grabner, Grabber, Graeber, Graebner, Gravner, Grabbne, Grabne, Grubner, Grappner, Grapner, Grabere, Graben, Grabel, Grabert, Grable, Grabnere, Grabnen, Grabnel, Grabbere, Grabben, Grabbel, Greber, Grebere, Greben, Graebner, Graebnere, Graebnen, Graebber, Graebbere, Graebben, Craver and many more.
First found in Austria, where in ancient times the Graber family played a significant role within the region's feudal society. The name Grabner became prominent in local affairs and often intermarried with other distinguished families, some of whom played important roles in the territorial conflicts of the period.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Grable research. Another 257 words (18 lines of text) covering the years 1700, 1507, 1602, 1680, 1700, 1585 and 1655 are included under the topic Early Grable History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 121 words (9 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Grable Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Grable Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Herman Grable, who landed in Indiana in 1852
- Clarence M. Grable, aged 25, who emigrated to the United States, in 1895
- Milly Grable, aged 10, who emigrated to the United States, in 1895
- Mrs. Grable, aged 32, who landed in America, in 1895
Grable Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Edna Grable, aged 4, who landed in America, in 1907
- Margaret Grable, aged 53, who settled in America, in 1907
- Joseph Grable, aged 28, who landed in America from Zurich, Switzerland, in 1914
- Virgil Grable, aged 20, who emigrated to America, in 1920
- Marcella Grable, aged 28, who emigrated to the United States, in 1921
- Judy Grable (1936-2008), ring name of Nellya Baughman, an American professional wrestler
- Joyce Grable, ring name of Betty Wade-Murphy, an American professional wrestler
- Elizabeth Ruth "Betty" Grable (1916-1973), American actress, dancer and singer whose legs were famously insured by her studio for $1,000,000 with Lloyds of London
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Göbel, Otto. Niederdeutsche Familiennamen der Gegenwart Wolfshagen-Schäbentz. Franz: Westphal, 1936. Print.
- Rolland, and H.V. Rolland. Illustrations to the Armorial general by J. B. Rietstap 6 volumes in 3. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1976. Print.
- Rupp, Daniel L. A Collection of Upwards of Thirty Thousand Names of German, Swiss, Dutch, French and Other Immigrants to Pennsylvania from 1727 to 1776. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 2000. Print. (ISBN 978-0806303024).
- Karlsruhe. Badisches Generallandesarchiv Baden Emigration lists 1866-1911. Salt Lake City: Microfilm of Card Index by the Genealogical Society of Utah. Print.
- Bahlow, Hans. Deutschlands geographische Namenwelt Etymologisches Lexikon der Fluss- und Ortsnamen alteuropaischer Herkunft. Frankfurt: Suhrkamp, 1985. Print.
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Bahlow, Hans. Abhandlungen zur Namenforschung und Buchgeschichte. 1980. Print. (ISBN 978-3768690522).
- Tarneller, Josef. Zur Namenkunde Tirolen Familiennamen. Bozen: Buchhandlung, 1923. Print.
- Preuss, Otto. Die Lippischen Familiennamen mit Berücksichtigung der Ortsnamen. Detmold: Meyer'sche Hofbuchh, 1887. Print.
The Grable Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Grable Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 14 June 2015 at 17:24.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!