Gouveia History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
The distinguished Portuguese surname Gouveia is of toponymic origin. Toponymic surnames are those names which derive their origin from the name of the place from which the original bearer hailed. In this instance the name Gouveia is derived from the place name "Gouveia", which is the name of a town located in Portugal.
Early Origins of the Gouveia family
The surname Gouveia was first found in the town of Gouveia in Portugal. The original bearer of the Gouveia surname was Fernao Nunes de Gouveia, who lived during the reign of King Joao I of Portugal in the 14th century.
Early History of the Gouveia family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Gouveia research.Another 135 words (10 lines of text) covering the years 1368, 1497, 1548, 1505 and 1566 are included under the topic Early Gouveia History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Gouveia Spelling Variations
Early Notables of the Gouveia family (pre 1700)
Another 41 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Gouveia Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Gouveia family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Gouveia Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Abel Gouveia, aged 33, who settled in America from Porto Moz, Portugal, in 1916
- Francisco Mathias Gouveia, aged 48, who settled in America from Oliva Hospal, Portugal, in 1916
- Benjamin Gouveia, aged 19, who emigrated to America from Guarda, Portugal, in 1919
- Gabriel I. Gouveia, aged 16, who landed in America from Sto. Antonio, Madeira, in 1920
- Graziella Gouveia, aged 6, who emigrated to the United States from Sta. Cruz, Madeira, in 1920
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Gouveia (post 1700)
- Kurt Keola Gouveia (b. 1964), former professional American football linebacker who played from 1986 to 2001, 2× Super Bowl champion (XXII, XXVI)
- José Manuel Bastos Fialho Gouveia (1935-2004), Portuguese television entertainment pioneer and former radio host
- José Eduardo Fialho Gouveia, Portuguese television presenter
- Teodósio Clemente de Gouveia (1889-1962), Portuguese Cardinal of the Roman Catholic Church, Archbishop of Lourenço Marques in Mozambique (1940-1962)
- Sandro de Gouveia (b. 1968), retired Namibian footballer
- Antônio Carlos Aguilar Gouveia (b. 1965), Brazilian gold medalist volleyball player at the 1992 Summer Olympics
- Portuense Gouveia, Portuguese painter
Gouveia Family Crest Products