100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the German Gottlieb family come from? What is the German Gottlieb family crest and coat of arms? When did the Gottlieb family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Gottlieb family history?The origin of the proud surname Gottlieb can be traced to the historic kingdom of Bohemia, which is now part of Czechoslovakia. German surnames developed at a time when most of Bohemia, and most of the German provinces, were states of the Holy Roman Empire. At first people used only a single name, but as the population grew and people began to travel, they began to find it necessary to take on an additional name to differentiate themselves.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Gottlieb, Godlieb, Gottlieber, Gotlieb, Gotlieber, Godlieber, Gotleeb and many more.
First found in Bohemia, where this family name became a prominent contributor to the development of the district from ancient times. Always prominent in social affairs, the name became an integral part of that turbulent region as it emerged to form alliances with other families within the Feudal System and the nation.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Gottlieb research. Another 129 words(9 lines of text) covering the years 1835, 1620 and 1654 are included under the topic Early Gottlieb History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 75 words(5 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Gottlieb Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Gottlieb Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Matthias Gottlieb Gottschalk arrived in Delaware in 1746
- Geo Gottlieb, who landed in South Carolina in 1749
Gottlieb Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Jakob Gottlieb, who landed in North America in 1848
- Philipp Ludwig Gottlieb, who arrived in North America in 1848
- Emilie Gottlieb, who arrived in America in 1851
- Karl Gottlieb Seedorf, who arrived in America in 1856
- Gottlieb Gottlieb, who landed in North America in 1856
Gottlieb Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Max Gottlieb, who landed in Arkansas in 1904
- Joseph Abraham "Joey Bishop" Gottlieb (b. 1918), American actor, member of the famous "Rat Pack"
- Adolph Gottlieb (1903-1974), Jewish-American abstract expressionist painter and sculptor
- Carl Gottlieb (b. 1938), American screenwriter
- David Gottlieb (1911-1982), American plant pathologist
- Doug Gottlieb (b. 1976), American basketball player
- William P. Gottlieb, American photographer
- Bob Gottlieb (1940-2014), American basketball coach for the NCAA Division I University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee (1975-1980)
- Robert Gottlieb (b. 1931), formerly of the publishing company Simon and Schuster before becoming Editor-in- Chief of the New Yorker magazine
- Anna Gottlieb (1774-1856), Austrian soprano
- Dovid Gottlieb, Israeli mathematician
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Neubecker, Ottfried. Wappen-Bilder-Lexikon der bürgerlichen Geschlechter Deutschlands, Oesterreichs und der Schweiz. Battenberg, München: 1985. Print.
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Bahlow, Hans (Edda Gentry trns). Dictionary of German Names . Madison, Wisconsin: Max Kade Institute, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-924119-35-7).
- Strassburger, Ralph B. German Pioneers The Original Lists of Arrivals in the Port of Philadelphia 3 Volumes. Baltimore: Picton Press, 1992. Print. (ISBN 978-0929539980).
- Rupp, Daniel L. A Collection of Upwards of Thirty Thousand Names of German, Swiss, Dutch, French and Other Immigrants to Pennsylvania from 1727 to 1776. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 2000. Print. (ISBN 978-0806303024).
- Tobler-Meyer, Wilhelm. Familiennamen der Ostschweiz. Zürich: 1894. Print.
- Bahlow, Hans. Abhandlungen zur Namenforschung und Buchgeschichte. 1980. Print. (ISBN 978-3768690522).
The Gottlieb Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Gottlieb Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 24 November 2014 at 16:04.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!