Gottfried History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The German state of Bavaria is the ancestral home of the Gottfried family. Gottfried is a local name. Gottfried is a name for someone who lived in Bavaria, where the name came from humble beginnings but eventually gained a significant reputation for their contribution to the region's medieval society.
Early Origins of the Gottfried family
The surname Gottfried was first found in Bavaria, where this family name became a prominent contributor to the development of the district from ancient times. Always prominent in social affairs, the name became an integral part of that turbulent region as it emerged to form alliances with other families within the Feudal System and the nation.
Early History of the Gottfried family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Gottfried research. Another 72 words (5 lines of text) covering the years 121 and 1210 are included under the topic Early Gottfried History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Gottfried Spelling Variations
Many cultural groups lived in the German states in medieval times. Each had its own dialect and traditions, and unique variations of popular names. Low German, which is similar to contemporary Dutch, was spoken in Westphalia. German names are characterized by additions such as regional suffixes and phrases that tell something about the origin or background of its original bearer. Further contributing to the variation in German names was the fact that there were no spelling rules in medieval times: scribes recorded names according to their sound. The recorded spelling variations of Gottfried include Gottfried, Godfreed, Gotfried, Gottfreed, Gottfrieden and many more.
Early Notables of the Gottfried family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Gottfried Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In the United States, the name Gottfried is the 11,703rd most popular surname with an estimated 2,487 people with that name. 
Gottfried migration to the United States +
European migration to North America began in the mid-17th century and continued unabated until the mid-20th. Many Bavarians made the long trip to escape poverty or persecution based on their religious beliefs. The chance for tenant farmers to own their own land was also a major drawing card. They settled all across the United States in Pennsylvania, Texas, New York, Illinois, and California. Many came to Canada also, settling in Ontario and the prairie provinces. Analysis of immigration records has shown some of the first Gottfrieds to arrive in North America, and among them were:
Gottfried Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Georg Gottfried, who arrived in Philadelphia in 1738
- Johann Georg Gottfried, who arrived in Philadelphia in 1744
- Johan Georg Gottfried, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1774 
Gottfried Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- H Gottfried, aged 24, who arrived in New York, NY in 1851 
- Alex Gottfried, aged 25, who arrived in New York, NY in 1851 
- Anton Gottfried, who arrived in America in 1854 
- Elis Gottfried, who landed in America in 1866 
- Anne Marie Gottfried, who landed in America in 1866 
Contemporary Notables of the name Gottfried (post 1700) +
- Gilbert Gottfried (1955-2022), American stand-up comedian and actor, perhaps best known for voicing the parrot Iago in Disney's Aladdin (1992)
- Howard Gottfried (1923-2017), American film producer, known for his films The Hospital, Network, Torch Song Trilogy and Suburban Commando
- Arlene Harriet Gottfried (1950-2017), American photographer, older sister of comedian and actor Gilbert Gottfried
- Keith E. Gottfried (b. 1966), American lawyer who served as General Counsel for the United States Department of Housing and Urban Development in 2005
- Martin Gottfried (1933-2014), American critic, columnist and author
- Byron Stuart Gottfried (b. 1934), prominent American engineer
- Mark Frederick Gottfried (b. 1964), American men's college basketball coach
- Brian Edward Gottfried (b. 1952), retired American tennis player who won 25 singles titles and 54 doubles titles
- Richard N. Gottfried, American Democratic Party politician, Member of New York State Assembly, 1971-2001; Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from New York, 1984 
- Edward Gottfried, American politician, U.S. Consular Agent in Truxillo, 1889-98 
- ... (Another 2 notables are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Related Stories +
- ^ https://namecensus.com/most_common_surnames.htm
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, October 23) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html