Gora History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The surname Gora is a patronymic surname derived from the personal name Gregorein, which means to be awake or watchful.
Early Origins of the Gora family
The surname Gora was first found in the 13th century, when the Gregorio family was recognized as nobility in Sicily, Umbria, Modena, Pisa, Arezzo, Terni, Aquila, and Benevento.
Important Dates for the Gora family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Gora research. More information is included under the topic Early Gora History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Gora Spelling Variations
Italian surnames have a surprising number of forms in comparison with other European surnames because they reflect the regional variations and the many dialects of the Italian language, each of which has its distinctive features. For example, in Northern Italy the most standard Italian surname suffix is "I", whereas in Southern Italy the most typical surname suffix is "O". Sardinian is very different from other forms of Italian and in fact, it is considered to be its own distinct language. Additionally, spelling changes frequently occurred because medieval scribes, church officials, and the bearers of names, spelled names as they sounded rather than according to any specific spelling rules. As a consequence of the major changes in the Italian language and in the local spellings of Italian surnames that occurred over the course of history, there are numerous variations for the surname Gora. These spelling variations include Gregori, Gregoria, Gregorio, Gregor, Grigori, Grigorio, Grigoriis, Ghirigori, Gregoli, Gregol, Greguol, Grigoli, Grioli, Grigolo, Grigolli, Gligori, Grivori, De Gregorio, Di Gregorio, De Gregoli, Gregorich, Gregoric, Gregoretti, Gregoletti, Grigoletti, Gregoletto, Gregolet, Gorghetto, Gregorini, Gregorin, Gregolin, Grigolon, Gregorace, Gregoraci, Gregorace, Grigoraci, Gligoraci, Gregoratti, Gregorat, Grigolato, Gorgatto, Gregorutti, Gori, Gorelli, Gorella, Gorela, Goretti, Gorini, Gorin, Gorioli, Goroni, Gorno, Goracci, Gorasso, Gorassini, Goratti, Goriani and many more.
Early Notables of the Gora family (pre 1700)
Prominent among bearers of this surname in early times was Annibale Gregori, a 16th century composer from Siena who became the Choirmaster of the Siena Cathedral. Giovanni Lorenzo Gregori of Lucca was a violinist, composer and music theorist during the mid 18th century. The Gregorio family in Sicily was feudal landowner of over 40 territories and many castles. Giovanni Gregorio, of this family, was Cardinal in Messina; Emanuele Gregorio was...
Another 70 words (5 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Gora Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Gora migration to the United States
A search of the immigration and passenger lists has shown a number of people bearing the name Gora:
Gora Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Andra Gora, aged 39, who landed in America, in 1892
- Helene Gora, aged 34, who landed in America, in 1893
- Anna Gora, aged 29, who settled in America, in 1895
Gora Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Iliana Gora, aged 25, who immigrated to America, in 1907
- Audrrej Gora, aged 40, who settled in America from Choznuia, Austria, in 1909
- Enrico Gora, aged 30, who immigrated to the United States from Monte Comparti, Italy, in 1909
- Antoni Gora, aged 30, who landed in America from Wilszbno, Galizia, in 1912
- Antoni Gora, aged 23, who immigrated to the United States from Zagornik, Galicia, in 1912
Contemporary Notables of the name Gora (post 1700)
- John F. Gora, American politician, U.S. Vice Consul in Sagua la Grande, 1898 
- Agnes Gora, American Democrat politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from California, 1960, 1964; Candidate for Presidential Elector for California, 1968 
You May Also Like
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, October 21) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html