on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The origins of this Hungarian name are unclear. The Magyar word "gomba," means mushroom; so it is possible that the surname was originally a nickname
for someone who gathered or sold mushrooms. There is a place named gombas in Hugary, and some instances of this surname may be derived from the place name. Some instances of the Gombas surname are no doubt patronymic
in origin, being created as a surname from the first name of a father. Spelling variations
of this family name include: Gombar, Gombas, Gombar, Gombár, Gombás, Gombash and others.
More information is included under the topic Early Gombas Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: Jonas Gombas, age 12 and Pat. Gombas age 15, who arrived in America on November 16, 1885 aboard the " Republic"; Adam Gomba of Illama, Hungary, who arrived at Ellis Island in 1913.
- Peter Gombas, MI Central Hospital, Department of Pathology, Budapest, Hungary
- Thirsk, Joan. The Agrarian History of England and Wales. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press: 7 Volumes. Print.
- Shirley, Evelyn Philip. Noble and Gentle Men of England Or Notes Touching The Arms and Descendants of the Ancient Knightley and Gentle Houses of England Arranged in their Respective Counties 3rd Edition. Westminster: John Bowyer Nichols and Sons, 1866. Print.
- Fairbairn. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
- Hinde, Thomas Ed. The Domesday Book England's Heritage Then and Now. Surrey: Colour Library Books, 1995. Print. (ISBN 1-85833-440-3).
- Burke, John Bernard Ed. The Roll of Battle Abbey. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Sanders, Joanne McRee Edition. English Settlers in Barbados 1637-1800. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. General Armory Of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales. Ramsbury: Heraldry Today. Print.
- Innes, Thomas and Learney. The Tartans of the Clans and Families of Scotland 1st Edition. Edinburgh: W & A. K. Johnston Limited, 1938. Print.
- Hanks, Hodges, Mills and Room. The Oxford Names Companion. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-19-860561-7).
- Le Patourel, John. The Norman Empire. New York: Oxford University Press, 1976. Print. (ISBN 0-19-822525-3).
The Gombas Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Gombas Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 16 September 2015 at 04:53.
on orders of $85 or more