Goldthorpe History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Goldthorpe family
The surname Goldthorpe was first found in South Yorkshire at Goldthorpe, a village within the Metropolitan Borough of Barnsley, but originally part of the West Riding of Yorkshire. Dating back to the Domesday Book of 1086, Goldthorpe was under the Manor of Bolton upon Dearne which was once owned by Roger de Busli. The place name literally means "outlying farmstead or hamlet of a man called Golda," having derived from the Old English personal name + "thorpe." 
Early History of the Goldthorpe family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Goldthorpe research. Another 49 words (4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Goldthorpe History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Goldthorpe Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Goldthorp, Goldsthrop, Goldsthorp, Goldthorpe, Goldthrop, Goldthrupp, Goldsthrup, Goldsthrupp and many more.
Early Notables of the Goldthorpe family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Goldthorpe Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Goldthorpe family
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: the name represented in many forms and recorded from the mid 17th century in the great migration from Europe. Migrants settled in the eastern seaboard from Newfoundland, to Maine, to Virginia, the Carolinas, and to the islands..
Contemporary Notables of the name Goldthorpe (post 1700) +
- William H. Goldthorpe (b. 1880), American Republican politician, Member of Wisconsin State Assembly from Grant County 1st District, 1935-46 
- P. J. Goldthorpe, American politician, Mayor of Lorain, Ohio, 1930-32 
- Albert Goldthorpe (1871-1943), English rugby footballer
- Commander Michael Goldthorpe B.E.M., RN, British Chief Executive Officer for Association of Royal Navy Officers, was appointed Medallist of the British Empire Medal 29th December 2018 for services to Naval Personnel 
- John Harry Goldthorpe (b. 1935), British sociologist, emeritus of Nuffield College, Oxford, elected Fellow of the British Academy in 1984
- Noel Goldthorpe (b. 1969), Australian rugby league footballer
- Bill "Goldie" Goldthorpe (b. 1953), Canadian NHL ice hockey player
Historic Events for the Goldthorpe family +
- Mr. Charles Goldthorpe (1871-1914), English First Class Passenger from Bradford, England, United Kingdom who was traveling aboard the Empress of Ireland and died in the sinking 
Related Stories +
- ^ Mills, A.D., Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2016, January 7) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html
- ^ "Birthday and New Year Honours Lists (1940 to 2019)." Issue 62507, 28 December 2018 | London Gazette, The Gazette, Dec. 2018, www.thegazette.co.uk/honours-lists
- ^ Commemoration Empress of Ireland 2014. (Retrieved 2014, June 16) . Retrieved from http://www.empress2014.ca/seclangen/listepsc1.html