Goetze History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Goetze family
The surname Goetze was first found in Franconia, later Hessen, where this family name became a prominent contributor to the development of the district from ancient times. The family descends from Franconian German Knights who expanded their territories eastwards, eventually acquiring estates in Brandenburg such as Zehlendorf and Zuehlendorf. Always prominent in social affairs, the name became an integral part of that turbulent region as it emerged to form alliances with other families within the Feudal System and the nation.
Important Dates for the Goetze family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Goetze research. Another 159 words (11 lines of text) covering the years 1480, 1562, 1591, 1633, 1635, 1662, 1717, 1721, 1722, 1781, and 1786 are included under the topic Early Goetze History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Goetze Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Goetz, Gotz, Goets, Goeze, Goetze, Goetzen, Goetse, Gotze, Gotse and many more.
Early Notables of the Goetze family (pre 1700)
Prominent figures of the time who bore the name Goetze were Goetz von Berlichingen (Wuerttemburg, 1480-1562), a soldier and knight who owned castles across Wuerttemburg and Franconia and struggled with the Emperor and Bishop of Bamberg for power. His...
Another 38 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Goetze Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Goetze migration to the United States
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Goetze Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Elisabeth Goetze, aged 29, who arrived in America in 1839 
- Gustav Goetze, who landed in New York, NY in 1850 
- A Goetze, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1850 
- Wilhelm Goetze, who landed in New York, NY in 1850 
- Nikolaus W Friedrich Hermann Goetze, who arrived in America in 1854 
Contemporary Notables of the name Goetze (post 1700)
- August Goetze, American founder of Goetze's Candy Company, Inc., an American confectionery company based in Baltimore, Maryland in 1895
- Albrecht Ernst Rudolf Goetze (1897-1971), German-American archaeologist who specialized in the study of the Ancient Hittites
- Vicki Goetze -Ackerman (b. 1972), American professional golfer
- Walter Wilhelm Goetze (1883-1961), German composer of operettas and revues
- Sigismund Christian Hubert Goetze (1866-1939), English painter and art patron
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)