on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the German Glessner family come from? What is the German Glessner family crest and coat of arms? When did the Glessner family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Glessner family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Glasau, Glaser, Glas, Glesau, Gleser, Glossauer, Gleissenaur, Klassau and many more.
First found in Prussia, where the name emerged in medieval times as one of the notable families of the region. From the 13th century the surname was identified with the great social and economic evolution which made this territory a landmark contributor to the development of the nation.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Glessner research. Another 228 words(16 lines of text) covering the years 1740 and 1787 are included under the topic Early Glessner History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Glessner Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Glessner Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- William Glessner, who came to Maryland in 1833
- William Glessner, who landed in Maryland in 1833
- Ludwick Glessner, who arrived in Somerset County, Pennsylvania in 1834
- John Jacob Glessner (1843-1936), partner in the firm of Warder, Bushnell & Glessner, a farm machinery manufacturer headquartered in Springfield, Ohio, but probably best known for his house in Chicago designe by architect Henry Hobson Richardson and is now a museum
- Thomas Glessner, President of the National Institute for Family Life Advocate (NIFLA)
- Katherine Glessner (b. 1986), American rower
- German Glessner, Argentine Olympic skeleton racer who competed from 1996 to 2006
- Gottschald, Max. Deutsche Namenkunde unsere Familiennamen nach ihrer Entstehung und Bedeutung. München: J.F. Lehmanns Verlag, 1932. Print.
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Tarneller, Josef. Zur Namenkunde Tirolen Familiennamen. Bozen: Buchhandlung, 1923. Print.
- Gritzner, M. Handbuch der heraldischen Terminologie in zwölf Zungen. Nürnberg: 1890. Print.
- Garland, Mary and Henry Garland Editions. Oxford Companion To German Literature 3rd Edition. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1997. Print. (ISBN 0198158963).
- Jones, George F. The Germans of Colonial Georgia 1733-1783 Revised edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0806311614).
- Kapff, Rudolf. Schwäbische Geschlechtsnamen. Stuttgart: Verlag Silberburg, 1927. Print.
- Siebmacher, J.J. Siebmachers Wappenbuch. München, Battenberg: 1975. Print.
- Strassburger, Ralph B. Pennsylvania German Pioneers The Original Lists of Arrivals in the Port of Philadelphia 3 Volumes. Baltimore: Picton Press, 1992. Print. (ISBN 978-0929539980).
- Steed, Henry Wickham . The Hapsburg Monarchy. London: Constable and Company, 1919. Print.
The Glessner Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Glessner Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 23 September 2010 at 15:39.
on orders of $85 or more