Gisler History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Gisler family
The surname Gisler was first found in Switzerland, where the family came from the estate of Grueningen in the canton of Zurich, and gained a significant reputation for its contribution to the emerging mediaeval society. It later became more prominent as many branches of the same house acquired distant estates and branches, some in foreign countries, always elevating their social status by their great contributions to society.
Important Dates for the Gisler family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Gisler research. Another 190 words (14 lines of text) covering the years 1618, 1745, 1673, 1740 and 1307 are included under the topic Early Gisler History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Gisler Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Gessler, Gesler, Gesseler, Giselherr, Geseller and others.
Early Notables of the Gisler family (pre 1700)
Notables of the time with the surname Gisler were Georg Gsell (1673-1740), Swiss Baroque painter, art consultant and art dealer; and Governor Hermann Gessler, the Imperial Vogt who...
Another 28 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Gisler Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Gisler migration to the United States
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Gisler Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Jacob Gisler, who arrived in Arkansas in 1892 
- Stephen Gisler, who landed in Arkansas in 1893 
Gisler Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Charles Gisler, who landed in Arkansas in 1906 
Contemporary Notables of the name Gisler (post 1700)
- Michael "Mike" Gisler (b. 1969), former American NFL football offensive lineman who played from 1992 to 1999, AFC Champion (1997)
- Joel Gisler (b. 1994), Swiss freestyle skier at the 2014 Winter Olympics
- Marcel Gisler (b. 1960), Swiss multiple award winning film director and screenwriter
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)