on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Where did the Italian Gigliotti family come from? What is the Italian Gigliotti family crest and coat of arms? When did the Gigliotti family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Gigliotti family history?The name Gigliotti came from the Latin personal name Guglielmo or Guilielmus, which is derived from the personal name William.
In comparison with other European surnames, Italian surnames have a surprising number of forms. They reflect the regional variations and the many dialects of the Italian language, each with its own distinctive features. For example, in Northern Italy the typical Italian surname suffix is "i", whereas in Southern Italy it is "o". Additionally, spelling changes frequently occurred because medieval scribes and church officials often spelled names as they sounded rather than according to any specific spelling rules. The spelling variations in the name Gigliotti include Guglielmi, Guglielmo, Di Guglielmo, Guglielmelli, Guglielmetti, Guglielmini, Guglielmino, Guglielmotti, Guglielmucci, Guglielmoni, Guglielmone, Ghielmi, Gilelmi, Gelmi, Gelmo, Gelmetti and many more.
First found in Pesaro, anciently Pisaurum, a city and seaport of the Marches and capital of the province of Pesaro and Urbino.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Gigliotti research. Another 123 words (9 lines of text) covering the years 1229, 1655, 1710, 1698, 1573, 1624 and 1793 are included under the topic Early Gigliotti History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 253 words (18 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Gigliotti Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Analysis of immigration records indicates that some of the first North American immigrants bore the name Gigliotti or a variant listed above:
Gigliotti Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Angelo Gigliotti, aged 24, who emigrated to America from Colosimi, in 1898
Gigliotti Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Angelo Gigliotti, aged 25, who landed in America from Nicastro, in 1901
- Angelo Gigliotti, aged 22, who landed in America from Decollatna, Italy, in 1904
- Angelo Gigliotti, aged 38, who settled in America from Italy, in 1904
- Angela Gigliotti, aged 33, who landed in America from Nicastro, Italy, in 1904
- Angelina Gigliotti, aged 13, who settled in America from Motto S. Lucia, in 1904
- Gilbert L. Gigliotti (b. 1961), American professor of early American literature at Central Connecticut State University
- Anthony Gigliotti (d. 2001), American classical clarinet player
- Donna Gigliotti (b. 1955), two-time Academy Award winning, two-time BAFTA award winning American film producer
- Frank J. Gigliotti (b. 1942), American politician, former member of the Pennsylvania House of Representatives
- Lou Gigliotti, American Republican politician, Candidate in primary for U.S. Representative from Texas 4th District, 2012
- Joseph Gigliotti, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from New York, 2000
- Frank P. Gigliotti, American Republican politician, Candidate for New York State Assembly from Oneida County 1st District, 1935
- Dominick J. Gigliotti, American politician, Candidate for Mayor of Calumet City, Illinois, 2003
- David Gigliotti (b. 1985), French footballer
- Emanuel Gigliotti (b. 1987), Argentine football forward
- Di Crollalanza, G.B. Dizionario Storico-Blasonico Delle Famiglie Nobili e Notabili Italiane 3 volumes. Pisa. Print.
- Battilana, Natale, Ed. Genealogie Dello Famiglie Nobili di Genova. Genova: Fratelli Pagano, 1825. Print.
- Fucilla, Josheph G. Our Italian Surnames. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1987. Print. (ISBN 0806311878).
- Colletta, John P. Finding Italian Roots The Complete Guide for Americans. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 2003. Print.
- Dizionario Biografico degli Italiani. Rome Istituto della Enciclopedia Italiana 56 volumesr. Print.
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Stiens, Robert E. Passenger list Italy to New York 1893 In Italian Genealogist. Torrance, CA: Augustan Society No 3, 1983. Print.
- Gheno, Antonio. Contributo alla Bibliografia Genealogica Italiana. Bologna: Forni, 1924. Print.
- Rolland, and H.V. Rolland. Illustrations to the Armorial Général by J.B. Rietstap. Ramsbury: Heraldry Today, 1967. Print. (ISBN 0-0900455-209).
- Bentley, Elizabeth P. Passenger Arrivals at the Port of New York 1820-1829. Baltimore, Maryland: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1999. Print.
The Gigliotti Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Gigliotti Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 17 November 2015 at 10:47.
on orders of $85 or more