Gigliotti History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The name Gigliotti came from the Latin personal name Guglielmo or Guilielmus, which is derived from the personal name William.
Early Origins of the Gigliotti family
The surname Gigliotti was first found in Pesaro, anciently Pisaurum, a city and seaport of the Marches and capital of the province of Pesaro and Urbino.
Early History of the Gigliotti family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Gigliotti research. Another 62 words (4 lines of text) covering the years 1229, 1655, 1710, 1698, 1573, 1624 and 1793 are included under the topic Early Gigliotti History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Gigliotti Spelling Variations
In comparison with other European surnames, Italian surnames have a surprising number of forms. They reflect the regional variations and the many dialects of the Italian language, each with its own distinctive features. For example, in Northern Italy the typical Italian surname suffix is "i", whereas in Southern Italy it is "o". Additionally, spelling changes frequently occurred because medieval scribes and church officials often spelled names as they sounded rather than according to any specific spelling rules. The spelling variations in the name Gigliotti include Guglielmi, Guglielmo, Di Guglielmo, Guglielmelli, Guglielmetti, Guglielmini, Guglielmino, Guglielmotti, Guglielmucci, Guglielmoni, Guglielmone, Ghielmi, Gilelmi, Gelmi, Gelmo, Gelmetti and many more.
Early Notables of the Gigliotti family (pre 1700)
Prominent among members of the family was Domenico Guglielmini (1655 -1710), a Fellow of the Royal Society in 1698; Giulio-Cesare Gugliemi, a distinguished captain of the military in 1573, as well as Giacomo and Bernardino Guglielmi, both Philosophers in Siena. Alessandro Guglielmi was a man of letters; another Alessandro Guglielmi was Governor of Spoleto and an ambassador to various courts around Italy. Pietro Telmoni Guglielmoni was a...
Another 67 words (5 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Gigliotti Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Gigliotti migration to the United States +
Analysis of immigration records indicates that some of the first North American immigrants bore the name Gigliotti or a variant listed above:
Gigliotti Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Angelo Gigliotti, aged 24, who immigrated to America from Colosimi, in 1898
Gigliotti Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Angelo Gigliotti, aged 25, who landed in America from Nicastro, in 1901
- Angelo Gigliotti, aged 22, who landed in America from Decollatna, Italy, in 1904
- Angelo Gigliotti, aged 38, who settled in America from Italy, in 1904
- Angela Gigliotti, aged 33, who landed in America from Nicastro, Italy, in 1904
- Angelina Gigliotti, aged 13, who settled in America from Motto S. Lucia, in 1904
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Gigliotti (post 1700) +
- Gilbert L. Gigliotti (b. 1961), American professor of early American literature at Central Connecticut State University
- Anthony Gigliotti (d. 2001), American classical clarinet player
- Donna Gigliotti (b. 1955), two-time Academy Award winning, two-time BAFTA award winning American film producer
- Frank J. Gigliotti (b. 1942), American politician, former member of the Pennsylvania House of Representatives
- Lou Gigliotti, American Republican politician, Candidate in primary for U.S. Representative from Texas 4th District, 2012 
- Joseph Gigliotti, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from New York, 2000 
- Frank P. Gigliotti, American Republican politician, Candidate for New York State Assembly from Oneida County 1st District, 1935 
- Dominick J. Gigliotti, American politician, Candidate for Mayor of Calumet City, Illinois, 2003 
- David Gigliotti (b. 1985), French footballer
- Emanuel Gigliotti (b. 1987), Argentine football forward
Related Stories +