Early Origins of the Giglio family
The surname Giglio was first found in Ferrara, a city and comune in Emilia-Romagna
, northern Italy, capital city of the Province of Ferrara. History dates the city back to 753. It was at war with Venice
in 1471. It is a walled city and notable is the Church of S.Cristoforo. Knitted goods and shawls are made. In those ancient times only persons of rank, the podesta, clergy, city officials, army officers, artists, landowners were entered into the records. To be recorded at this time was in itself a family honor. The Giglio family originated in Pellicciari but little is known of their early history. They became seated in Ferrara in 1184 during the Norman occupation.
Early History of the Giglio family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Giglio research.Another 100 words (7 lines of text) covering the year 1476 is included under the topic Early Giglio History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Giglio Spelling Variations
In comparison with other European surnames, Italian surnames have a surprising number of forms. They reflect the regional variations and the many dialects of the Italian language, each with its own distinctive features. For example, in Northern Italy the typical Italian surname suffix is "i", whereas in Southern Italy it is "o". Additionally, spelling changes frequently occurred because medieval scribes and church officials often spelled names as they sounded rather than according to any specific spelling rules. The spelling variations
in the name Giglio include Giglio, Gigli, Giglioli, Giglioni, Gigliotti and others.
Early Notables of the Giglio family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Giglio Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Giglio family to the New World and Oceana
Discovered in the immigration and passenger lists were a number of people bearing the name Giglio: those who arrived along the east coast of North America.
Contemporary Notables of the name Giglio (post 1700)
- Louie Giglio (b. 1958), American pastor speaker and founder of the Passion Movement
- Joseph M. Giglio (b. 1954), New York State Assemblyman first elected in 2005
- Tony Giglio (b. 1971), American film director
- Frank Giglio, American Democrat politician, Candidate for U.S. Representative from Illinois 11th District, 1994; Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Illinois, 1996 CITATION[CLOSE]
The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, November 17) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html
- Giovanni del Giglio (d. 1557), Italian painter
- Paolo Giglio (1927-2016), Maltese Roman Catholic archbishop and diplomat, Apostolic Delegate to the League of Arab States (2001-2002)
- Stefan Giglio (b. 1979), Maltese professional footballer
Historic Events for the Giglio family
- Mr. Victor Giglio (d. 1912), aged 24, French First Class passenger from Paris, France who sailed aboard the RMS Titanic and died in the sinking CITATION[CLOSE]
Titanic Passenger List - Titanic Facts. (Retrieved 2016, July 13) . Retrieved from http://www.titanicfacts.net/titanic-passenger-list.html
Giglio Family Crest Products
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, November 17) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html
- ^ Titanic Passenger List - Titanic Facts. (Retrieved 2016, July 13) . Retrieved from http://www.titanicfacts.net/titanic-passenger-list.html