Gies History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Gies family
The surname Gies was first found in the Rhineland, where this family was a prominent contributor to the development of the district from ancient times. Always influential in social affairs, the name became an integral part of that turbulent region as it forged alliances with other families within the region and the nation. Alsace Lorraine was their original birth place.
Early History of the Gies family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Gies research. Another 130 words (9 lines of text) covering the years 1677, 1480, 1550, 1497, 1562, 1532, 1524, 1580, 1480 and 1550 are included under the topic Early Gies History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Gies Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Geisser, Geiss, Geis, Giese, Gise, Geizzer, Geizer, Guiser, Guyser, Geissmann and many more.
Early Notables of the Gies family (pre 1700)
Notables with the name Gies during this period were Tiedemann Giese (1480-1550), German Catholic bishop from Danzig, Prince-Bishop of Warmia; Georg Giese (1497-1562), German merchant from Danzig, subject of...
Another 28 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Gies Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Gies migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Gies Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Ann Ghres Gies, who arrived in New York in 1832
- Emil Gies, aged 18, who landed in America, in 1893
- Eugen Gies, aged 40, who immigrated to the United States, in 1894
- Celia Gies, aged 11, who landed in America, in 1895
- George Gies, aged 8, who settled in America, in 1895
Gies Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Anna Gies, aged 22, who settled in America from Walter Kuder, Russia, in 1905
- Frank Gies, aged 35, who landed in America, in 1908
- Amanda Gies, aged 29, who immigrated to the United States from Diedesfold, Germany, in 1909
- August Gies, aged 33, who immigrated to the United States from Polamon, Russia, in 1912
- Dorothea Gies, aged 28, who immigrated to America from Wather, Russia, in 1912
Contemporary Notables of the name Gies (post 1700) +
- William John Gies (1872-1956), American biochemist and dentist, co-founder of the School of Dentistry at Columbia
- Reiner Gies (b. 1963), German bronze medalist Olympic boxer at the 1998 Summer Olympics
- Hans-Peter Gies (b. 1947), retired East German Olympic shot putter who won a bronze medal at the 1969 European Championships
- Gerd Gies (b. 1943), German politician, Minister President of Saxony-Anhalt (1990-1991)
Related Stories +