Giardina History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Venice, one of the oldest and most beautiful island regions of Italy, is the esteemed birthplace of numerous prominent families, including the family that bears the surname Giardina. Although people were originally known only by a single name, it became necessary for people to adopt a second name to identify themselves as populations grew and travel became more frequent. The process of adopting fixed hereditary surnames was not complete until the modern era, but the use of hereditary family names in Italy began in the 10th and 11th centuries. Italian hereditary surnames were developed according to fairly general principles and they are characterized by a profusion of derivatives coined from given names. Although the most common type of family name found in Venice is the patronymic surname, which is derived from the father's givenname, names derived from occupations are also found. Occupational surnames, which are less common than other types of surnames in Italy, date back to the feudal era. However, under the Feudal System, occupational names did not become hereditary until the offices themselves became hereditary. It was only after an occupation was inherited by several generations in lineal descent that occupational names came to be applied to entire families, and so became a hereditary surname. The surname Giardina is a common occupational name for a cultivator of edible produce in an orchard or kitchen garden, rather than to a tender of ornamental lawns and flower-beds. The surname Giardino was originally rendered in Old French as Gardin.
Early Origins of the Giardina family
The surname Giardina was first found in at Ravenna, a prosperous port city which at one time was the capital city of Italy. Records are found with the Giardini family in the 13th century.
Early History of the Giardina family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Giardina research. More information is included under the topic Early Giardina History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Giardina Spelling Variations
There are many variations of most of those Italian names that originated in the medieval era. Some of these come from regional differences, like the tradition of ending northern names in "o" and southern names in "i". Others come from inaccuracies in the recording process, which were extremely common in the eras before dictionaries standardized spelling. Some of the spelling variations of Giardina are Giardino, Giardini, Giardina, Iardino, Giardinella, Giardinaro and many more.
Early Notables of the Giardina family (pre 1700)
Prominent among members of the family was Bruno Giardini, a famous poet and orator. Another Bruno Giardini was also a poet, and was active during the 16th century. Luigi Arias Giardina acquired the territory, and thus the title of Baron, of San Ninfa in the valley of Mazzara in 1615. In 1621 he was granted with the...
Another 57 words (4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Giardina Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In the United States, the name Giardina is the 11,383rd most popular surname with an estimated 2,487 people with that name. 
Giardina migration to the United States +
In the immigration and passenger lists a number of early immigrants bearing the name Giardina were found:
Giardina Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- E Giardina, who landed in Mississippi in 1891 
- Frank Giardina, who arrived in Mississippi in 1897 
Giardina Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Ambrogio Giardina, aged 28, who immigrated to the United States from Roccella, Messina, in 1905
- Andrea Giardina, aged 18, who settled in America from Bracquino, Sicily, in 1906
- Angela Giardina, aged 3, who immigrated to the United States from Castelvetrano, Sicily, in 1910
- Agata Giardina, aged 20, who settled in America from Cefalei, Sicily, in 1911
- Agostino Giardina, aged 4, who landed in America from Canicatti, Sicily, in 1913
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Giardina (post 1700) +
- Rear Admiral Timothy Michael "Tim" Giardina (b. 1957), retired United States Navy officer, former deputy commander of U.S. nuclear forces
- Tiffany Kathryn Giardina (b. 1993), American singer, songwriter, actress, and model
- Robert "Bobby" Giardina (b. 1957), American actor
- Denise Giardina, American novelist, best known for her book Storming Heaven
- Anthony Giardina (b. 1950), American novelist, short story writer, essayist and playwright
- Vincent Giardina, American politician, Candidate for U.S. Senator from Louisiana, 1986 
- Salvatore Giardina (b. 1981), Italian footballer
Related Stories +
- ^ https://namecensus.com/most_common_surnames.htm
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, November 9) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html