Getz History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Getz family
The surname Getz was first found in Franconia, later Hessen, where this family name became a prominent contributor to the development of the district from ancient times. The family descends from Franconian German Knights who expanded their territories eastwards, eventually acquiring estates in Brandenburg such as Zehlendorf and Zuehlendorf. Always prominent in social affairs, the name became an integral part of that turbulent region as it emerged to form alliances with other families within the Feudal System and the nation.
Early History of the Getz family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Getz research. Another 159 words (11 lines of text) covering the years 1480, 1562, 1591, 1633, 1635, 1662, 1717, 1721, 1722, 1781, and 1786 are included under the topic Early Getz History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Getz Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Goetz, Gotz, Goets, Goeze, Goetze, Goetzen, Goetse, Gotze, Gotse and many more.
Early Notables of the Getz family (pre 1700)
Prominent figures of the time who bore the name Getz were Goetz von Berlichingen (Wuerttemburg, 1480-1562), a soldier and knight who owned castles across Wuerttemburg and Franconia and struggled with the Emperor and Bishop of Bamberg for power. His...
Another 38 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Getz Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Getz migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Getz Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Conrad Getz, who settled in Philadelphia in 1732
- Christian Getz, who settled in Philadelphia in 1752
- Christian Getz, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1752 
Getz Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Jacob Getz, who arrived in New York, NY in 1836 
- Mr. Getz, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1850 
- Wilhm Getz, aged 22, who landed in New York in 1854 
- Adam Getz, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1878 
- John George M Getz, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1879 
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Getz (post 1700) +
- Christopher Ryan "Chris" Getz (b. 1983), American Major League Baseball second baseman from Southfield, Michigan
- Stuart Getz, American born actor
- Gustave Getz (1889-1969), American former professional baseball player
- Jane Getz, American jazz pianist and session musician
- Kerry 'Hockey Temper' Getz (b. 1975), American professional skateboarder
- Ileen Getz (1961-2005), American actress
- John Getz (b. 1947), American Hollywood Film Festival Award winning actor
- Stan Getz (1927-1991), American Jazz saxophonist, probably best known for his worldwide hit single "The Girl from Ipanema" (1964)
- James K. Getz, American politician, Mayor of Reading, Pennsylvania, 1885-87 
- George Getz (d. 1853), American politician, Mayor of Reading, Pennsylvania, 1849-53 
- ... (Another 9 notables are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Related Stories +
Suggested Readings for the name Getz +
- 4049 Getz (Gates) Genealogy by O.E. Sunday.
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, November 9) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html